Help me design better mineral water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoCornOrRice

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am on a quest to build better tasting mineral water. San Pellegrino-ish is my goal. I have all the usual mineral salts from beer brewing. Based on my starting point below, what do you think is my best bet for additions scaled to 18.93L / 5 US gallon Corny keg?

upload_2018-2-3_19-31-54.png

San Pellegrino has Burton-level sulfates, moderate sodium and chloride, and moderate carbonates.
Use Bru'n Water or something to check the adjustment amounts, but your prob is the low carbonates.

You can add chalk, but it is notoriously hard to actually get carbonate to dissolve into water. So you won't get the carbonate level you want.

But sulfate and sodium is a good start.

bringing this old thread to the top

Are any of you still blending your own mineral water?

I used the spreadsheet at the khymos blog link to mix a batch to target "artificial mineral water" profile

Target mineral levels are:
Ca: 100 ppm
Mg: 100 ppm
Na: 125 ppm
K: 0
HCO3: 6760 ppm
SO4: 300 ppm
Cl: 50 ppm

Based on my starting well water (with accompanying Ward Labs report), I added to a 5 gallon keg:

14g Epsom salts
7g baking soda
2g pickling lime

Carbonated to 30 psi

It tastes REALLY good! Almost has a sweetness to it. I find myself doing a much better job at staying hydrated. 16oz pint glass goes down very quickly
Maybe it's the fizzy bubbles...maybe it's the minerals, I dunno. My kids are chugging it too - maybe it's the novelty of being able to pour themselves a fancy drink off of dad's kegerator!

I tried to do some internet research on the "ideal" water profile for human health but of course it's not so simple as that. Depends on diet, etc. But the lack of magnesium and calcium seems a common finding which is why I'm comfortable targeting mid-high levels there.

TBH, my efforts to make a Pelli clone were not as successful as I had first hoped. The water was good, but it was definitely not a clone. What I do now is divergent from that taste profile, but it is easy and makes tasty water: just adding 2 teaspoons of gypsum per keg with my municipal water.

Back