Help me choose what to make. Starting fermenting tomorrow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donkey

Reaction score
Ok so already have a mead that I have aging right now but have some extra ingredients I have to use up.
Right now in the carboy I have 4 gallons of pressed applejuice. and 2lbs of honey with some pectin enzyme and campden. I also have around 2lbs of granny smith, and another 3 of pink lady apples.

original idea was to grab another 15lbs of honey or so and use up the k1v I have sitting in the fridge. My friend though is suggesting trying an apple saison, even more so since he is saying high temps work great and right now it's around 95 during the day and it can brew in the garage which would help house space.

Problem is I haven't had too many beers and have never tasted a saison (neither has he) so not sure what to expect with it though I do love a nice apple or even more a green apple beer.

So any ideas which way I should take this? I can go either way just as long as I get something that taste alright.

I saw a Zymergy article a while back about malted-cider that looked cool.

Basically 1 gallon of unhopped wort + 4 gallons of apple juice fermented with US05. Looked pretty cool and will hopefully be a little more gentle than the 20 gallons of Apfelwein I made a year ago.

You might try that.

Well ended up just kind of shooting from the hip. Simmeed around 6 lbs pink lady apples and 3 lbs green apple with cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of molasses. Then dumped it apples and all in the carboy with 4 gallons of apple juice. Then boiled 2lbs of amber and 4lbs of wheat extract with 1oz of hallertau hops and dumped it in with some 3724 saison yeast. Og was 1.072 then added 2lbs of honey on day 2 of fermentation.

Have no idea how this will taste. But right now it's sitting at around 79* and it smells fruity as hell during its fermentation. I'm not much if a beer drinker (hence the apples and honey) but I admit with this I'm curious.

You might be in luck and get A LOT of fruit in that brew......due to high fermentation temps. I just finished a red ale with some new yeast and it tastes like fruit punch. :) Good times! My wife loves it. lol

You're an adventurous person. Sounds crazy as hall, but I hope it turns out nice.

Back