Help me choose 240v brewery controller - No DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttuato

Reaction score
I have zero electrical skills so DIY is out of the questions. I am shopping for a 240v off the shelf plug-n-play controller for my single element with 120v pump control. I do have a 30A 240v GFCI breaker with 14-30R plug already installed in my brew area.

In searching for options I started with Brew Boss v2 but realized that I would need a 240v converter for the pump, which is not out of the question but does make it more clunky. Additionally I don't see the benefits of the "automation" aspect with the tablet / app for a recirculating full volume BIAB mash with hoses, but for 3 vessel with hard plumbing & actuators - absolutely. Nevertheless, Brew Boss v2 is still on the list.

Budget is ~$500

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 30 amp 220v unit I purchased from High Gravity a couple years ago and have been very happy with it. I'm getting rid of it really soon and picking up a controller that will handle two elements.

I have a 30 amp 220v unit I purchased from High Gravity a couple years ago and have been very happy with it. I'm getting rid of it really soon and picking up a controller that will handle two elements.

I have the same unit and have become frustrated with it. It uses a relay output PID which limits cycle time to 20 seconds. This is too long and causes overshoot in temp all the time. Any suggestions?

I have the same unit and have become frustrated with it. It uses a relay output PID which limits cycle time to 20 seconds. This is too long and causes overshoot in temp all the time. Any suggestions?

Hey Zg. I use to have problems overshooting all the time but I had my controller trying to control my HLT based on my mash temp. This was causing 5 degree plus swings and I wasn't happy with it. I started controlling the temp of my mash based on the monitored HLT temp and I have been solidly under 1 degree difference ever sense. I have been setting my HLT temp 1 degree over my mash temp and I waiver back and forth between my mash temp and the HLT temp.

Does that make sense? If not I'll take some pics or something.

Colorado Brewing Systems might make a custom controller. Shoot them an email and tell them what you want.

Hey Zg. I use to have problems overshooting all the time but I had my controller trying to control my HLT based on my mash temp. This was causing 5 degree plus swings and I wasn't happy with it. I started controlling the temp of my mash based on the monitored HLT temp and I have been solidly under 1 degree difference ever sense. I have been setting my HLT temp 1 degree over my mash temp and I waiver back and forth between my mash temp and the HLT temp.

Does that make sense? If not I'll take some pics or something.

Defiantly. Appreciate the response. I use mine on a EBIAB single vessel rig though. I really should just buy an EZBoil and a SSR and be done with it. Just hate that i have to buy parts to make it work correctly.

ttuato, I am in the same situation you were in. What did you end up buying? How is it working out?

I appreciate it if anyone can comment any further on these choices I'm looking at:

https://www.groundedbrewingtechnologies.com/products/30a-biab-control-panel
https://ebrewsupply.com/products/30a-pid-biab-control-panel-1-element
https://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/Brewery-Controller-Electric-Wort-Hog-EBC-130-p5041.htm

All three use different PID temperature controllers. Does anyone know of the quality differences of the PIDs? Also, the Grounded Brewing comes with a timer.

Thanks for helping!

I went with Brew Boss.

Next would have been the Aubers Cube.

As I researched more, PID is way too finicky and appears to require a lot more tinkering than an EZ boil based system. That pointed me to Brau & Aubers ---- neither were in stock when I was ready to order which made me look closer to Brew Boss - totally unique approach. The extensive user thread on HBT pushed me over the edge, plus greater name recognition = better resale value.

I am happy with my choice. Once you understand the basics of the system and get the commands loaded, it is really easy to use. I am brewin my sixth batch with it today.:mug:

ttuato, thanks for the update and insight! I will search HBT some more. Have fun brewing!

I just purchased a hosehead controller. It hasn't arrived yet so I have yet to test it. I went with hosehead because I wanted to use craftbeerpi.

Anyone ever used the controller from Brew Control? Looks like similar features for a little less cost.

I'm setting up a two vessel RIMS system using one 5500W heating element similar to the BrewEasy system except my kettles will be side-by-side. I will be using two pumps and will be circulating between themselves as well as each other at different times.

The controller will also have two pump controls and one sensor (monitors BK). I learned that I can add a second sensor (that will report to a separate DSPR120) to the controller. I'm not sure what the true benefit would be to have two sensors (one on each kettle) since there will only be one heating element.

Is it worth getting the extra sensor to be attached to the MT's bottom valve just to monitor that tempt? The BK will have a sensor at its bottom valve. Plus, both kettles will have a dial thermometer. Is the extra sensor overkill?

Brew boss controller for about a year. 40 plus batches in and couldn’t be happier. Keeps my mash temp flat as can be and just nudges the element slightly as needed.

Back