HELP! ME! Burners are insane!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevelle383

Reaction score
Ok, Ive been working like a mad mad. Building aVERY VERY nice direct fired RIMS system. Fully welded steel frame, 2 banjo burners and a smaller one for the mash tun. ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES right? Well Its been way more money than I thought it was going to be. And now Im just frustrated. Today Im finishing it up and I fire it up and those bajo burners are freggin' insane. Even toned down EVERYTHING is getting so hot. I even cracked the glass on a brand new Brewmometer. UGH! So depressing. Sorry for the crappy picture, it was taken with my phone and I forgot to take a realpicture befor I started dismateling everything tryin to get it to run cooler. The gads manifold was istantly hot so I moved it down from where you can see it there, but it just seems like the banjos are way too much heat to try and control. I mean, some of the guys I have seen use the actual frame for the gas manifold. If I did that it seems as though it would explode! Can any one pick apart my design here and help me out. Ive been a lurker on the site forever, as I couldnt have gotten this far, but Ive never read any one having this much heat? THANKS.

Brewery.jpg

what kind of valves are you using on those burners? What regulator?

From the photo they look like multi turn valves like you'd have on your water hose or something

The valves arejust gate valves. I admit they are not gas specific but seems fine. The regulator is and adjustable form 0-60. I have them toned back quite a bit, I mean the flames themselves look great. Everything was perfect untill I put the keg on top and did a test boil. Which it seem traps the heat and stuff, where before it was on the heat just rose right up. I tried putting the keg on riser blocks to let more heat out, but ;ike the thermometer say "max case temp 150" there aint no way in hell to keep that thing that cool.

Cut 2 1-1/2"high - 4" long openings in the keg skirt on the back side and the heat will go out the slots instead of up the sides and burn everything up.

I'd be curious to see how intense your burners are really running. "low heat" on my banjo burners LOOKS like "is it on?" and "high heat" looks like "3/4in flames" on my system. Anything more than about 20% open on the needle valve results in out of control, unusable heat.

Kladue....
I was thinking about that. More work I guess. Have you delt with this personally? hopefully that will work. Too bad it too late for my bremometer. damn it.

strat. yeah i can tone it that far down, and like you there isnt NEARLY as much control in the valve as I was hoping. Much past a turn or 2 its pretty much full flame.
What valves are you using and where did you get them. Hooking up the propane was EASY the biggest pain of the build. Nobody has parts to hook this stuff up around me.

And I agree with the un-usabkle heat. And I have to ask my self, if i just have to simmer with them why the heck did I buy these gargatuans in the first place. Seems like Buying a corvette and thenrestricting it to 35 mph

strat. yeah i can tone it that far down, and like you there isnt NEARLY as much control in the valve as I was hoping. Much past a turn or 2 its pretty much full flame.
What valves are you using and where did you get them. Hooking up the propane was EASY the biggest pain of the build. Nobody has parts to hook this stuff up around me.

And I agree with the un-usabkle heat. And I have to ask my self, if i just have to simmer with them why the heck did I buy these gargatuans in the first place. Seems like Buying a corvette and thenrestricting it to 35 mph

gotcha, if it's not a heat level problem then I'd say that the keg skirt vents that Kladue mentioned sound like a good idea. I dont have any personal experience with keggles, but I can see how the concave bottom with the skirt could trap heat leading to excess heat buildup.

I used like 3 cans of high heat engine enamel...GONE. LOL. Awww man... what have I gotten myself into.

I got my valve from Bigway Sales. This is a great site for propane applications. Great service and fast shipping. The needle valve I got works like a champ.

http://www.bigway.com/CARTgallery6.htm

Hope this helps!

Hang in there, the reward is worthy :rockin:

Cheers! :tank:

Cut 2 1-1/2"high - 4" long openings in the keg skirt on the back side and the heat will go out the slots instead of up the sides and burn everything up.

This made the difference in my rig!!! HUGE! I was getting pretty frustrated with my BG-14's. Now all is well! JJ

I stumbled across a great solution. On accident. Better lucky than good. I made heat plates on the frame under the valves, thermos, etc. And it was still radiating enough heat to kill said devices, meanwhile I was burning off all the engine enamel and toxic somke was filling my garage. So I grabed a fan and was blowing the fumes out, when I realized the thermos were totally cool to the touch. WHAT THE HELL??? Turnes out the fan disrupts the radiating heat defore it gets to the ball valves, sight glasses, and thrermos. It works awesome. burn baby burn.

Back