Help! Mast Tun Cooler won't stop leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First thing I see is that the hole is very rough and not very circular. This would cause issues with the small rubber washer that you are using. Try to find a larger OD washer. Also you don't need to crack down on the nut so hard that you deform the rubber washer, that will cause a ripple and you will have a leak.

The LHBS sells high temperature silicone tubing that you can cut length wise, flatten and use to cut your own washers. Lay your SS washer on top of the silicone as a template, trace with a sharpie and cut with an exacto knife.
I did this when building my MT because I couldn't find appropriately sized flat washers.

Are you putting all those washers in the inside?

Please post clearly how you are trying to assemble?

I would try washers outside the cooler with just the gasket and nut on the inside, with heavy Teflon tape on the threads with the nut

That's a really big jumble of parts. Not how I'd do it. However, if that threaded nipple is about the right length to get through the cooler while leaving the male threads inside the cooler, ONLY use the gasket and locknut on the inside. Any SS washers needed for shimming should go on the outside of the cooler.

How thick are the walls?

That's a really big jumble of parts. Not how I'd do it. However, if that threaded nipple is about the right length to get through the cooler while leaving the male threads inside the cooler, ONLY use the gasket and locknut on the inside. Any SS washers needed for shimming should go on the outside of the cooler.

How thick are the walls?

The walks are 2 inches thick. I bought a square piece of silicon today at a local hardware to try cutting a larger OD piece.

Well I used both the cut piece of silicon, much larger then the red silicon gasket, the red gasket and the locknut. No leaks! Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Thanks guys. Thank you Bobby. I had no idea to remove the metal O ring.

Back