HELP! Is my beer ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelScime

Reaction score
Ok so its like day 4 of fermentation and since ~day 2 I had this weird skuzz in my foam, want to make sure its ok

e6f23efaac219f1f0497dfa70ed8dd66.png

477e2d3a0295c06a8d76f31e8592fd84.png

A pilsner yeast is a lager yeast. Lagers need to be fermented cold. It looks like White Labs suggests 10-13°C for that strain. Here is a link to that strain on White Labs' website.

A pilsner yeast is a lager yeast. Lagers need to be fermented cold. It looks like White Labs suggests 10-13°C for that strain. Here is a link to that strain on White Labs' website.

Ouch, how will the yeast react to such high temps? A lot of rubbing alcohol / fruity off-flavors + need to repitch yeast before bottling?

Ouch, how will the yeast react to such high temps? A lot of rubbing alcohol / fruity off-flavors + need to repitch yeast before bottling?

Repitching before bottling does not fix any of the fermentation temperature issues. Those have already occurred.

oh is 23 degrees fine for white labs pilsner

No. But it's too late now.

From white labs website:
Attenuation
72-77%
Flocculation
Medium to High
Optimum Ferment Temp.
50-55°F (10-13°C)
Alcohol Tolerance
Medium

23C is way too high for most ale strains, let alone lager yeast strains. Next time, choose an ale yeast and keep it at no higher than 19C and the beer will be better for sure.

"Help is my beer okay?"

Dude, I say that after every beer! lol Almost every fermentation is different, I had one the other day that freaked me out.. looked like 2" of cottage cheese and graham cracker crumbs!

Ok so its like day 4 of fermentation and since ~day 2 I had this weird skuzz in my foam, want to make sure its ok

e6f23efaac219f1f0497dfa70ed8dd66.png

477e2d3a0295c06a8d76f31e8592fd84.png

The first 3-4 days are when the vast majority of the yeast driven flavors develop. You are past the point of no return on this one. Best thing to do now is let it ride and see what happens, knowing the next brew will be better.

can i save it its only like 4 days now if i bring it to my ac room will it be better

Sorry my friend, but the beer is compromised. Don't worry, it's happened to all of us. Next time be prepared to keep your vessel very very cool. It's the most important thing of all! Cheers

Perfectly normal Krausen. The crappy part is trying to clean that after you bottle. That's when you will dislike it the most!

How bad will it make it
Dunno, you'll have to inform us. It might have an interesting profile, something like a California Common (Steam beer).
How do I know when to transfer it to secondary?
Leave it for a while at lager temps, then let it warm up to room temp for a diacetyl rest, then package and let age. No matter what, you've made beer. It's going to be estery and maybe phenolic, but that's just what yeast does when it's not in its comfort zone.

Latest posts

Back