Help! Immortal Kraken! err.. I mean Krausen!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KramE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So,

I've been fermenting my first batch of beer under strict temp control thanks to everyone over on the HowTo BrewPi forum, and I have an issue.

The krausen isn't going away. I'm used to it dropping in a couple of days, but it's been 8 days so far....

2015-09-10_09-58-55 by Mark E, on Flickr

Go away dangit!

So, typically, when temperature controlled, how long does Krausen supposed to last? I was going to keg it today. I'm pretty sure it's done fermenting as I have checked the FG, which leads me to more fun from this batch.

I used a refractometer to measure the OG, and I got 1.100. I triple checked it and calibrated it....still got the same number. I don't even know if that number is possible with 100% efficiency. I typically sit in the mid 60%.

So, I have foam that won't go away and a 14% ABV session beer. First world problems, I guess.

You'll need to do some fancy calculations to derive gravity from a refractometer reading after fermentation. The alcohol throws it way off. Better to just use a hydrometer.

Sorry. I see that you refer to OG so my comments are irrelevant.

refractometers don't measure correctly in the presence of alcohol. have you measured the gravity with a hydrometer? this is pretty much the only way to measure post fermentation gravity accurately at home. also, the beer might still be fermenting, 8 days is very soon,a lot of people will wait at least 14 days,depending on beer original gravity and yeast strain. can you provide some details like yeast, original gravity, temperature of the wort and cooler, etc etc.

Yeah, Yooper clued me in on the refractometer thing. Those are the readings with the corrections from Brewers Friend and Sean Terrill.

can you provide some details like yeast, original gravity, temperature of the wort and cooler, etc etc.

Wyeast 1272, OG 1.100 (Refractometer) FG 1.030 (Refractometer) Corrected to 14% ABV, Temperature 66 degrees with no more than a .1 degree swing

There is no possible way that the OG is correct. That's more of a head scratcher, I just wasn't prepared for the duration of the foam.

OK.. recipe? You said this is supposed to be a session beer that is turning into a 14% ABV monster... we need to see the recipe.

Also, krausen can last a long time. My 2.5 gallon batch of barley wine had thick, luscious krausen for almost 3 weeks straight. I let it sit another week after it fell before bottling. This is an 11% ABV beer, so I am thinking the more sugars & proteins in the wort, the longer you might see krausen sticking around.

Also, what temperature and yeast are you using? Maybe since this is your first temp controlled batch you aren't used to the prolonged fermentation schedule... btw, it is worth the wait, esp. for a beer that big in my opinion.

Umm you don't have a 14% session beer. I mean, you don't suddenly even have a 14% beer that should have been something more sessionable.

Definitely get the recipe, what was the yeast and ramp up the ferm chamber a couple degrees and see what happens.

So, typically, when temperature controlled, how long does Krausen supposed to last? I was going to keg it today. I'm pretty sure it's done fermenting as I have checked the FG, which leads me to more fun from this batch.

I used a refractometer to measure the OG, and I got 1.100. I triple checked it and calibrated it....still got the same number. I don't even know if that number is possible with 100% efficiency. I typically sit in the mid 60%.

So, I have foam that won't go away and a 14% ABV session beer. First world problems, I guess.

The bold parts here aren't adding up... no one would call a beer with a 1.100 OG a session beer.

Post your recipe. I'm thinking your OG reading was way off, for whatever reason.

2.5 Gallon Batch

G/FG/IBU 1.0672 / 1.0175 / 53

American Two-Row Pale 5 lbs
American Vienna 1 lbs
American Crystal 40L 4 oz
Belgian Carapils 4 oz

Warrior 0.5 oz 60 min
Citra 0.5 oz 5 min
Columbus 0.25 oz 5 min

Fermented at 66 degrees

The crack about the 14% session beer was a joke.

How much did you boil off? What was your preboil volume? if you happened to start your boil with only 2.5 gallons, it's possible you boiled off enough to get you close to a 1.100 OG.

Edit: Also, Krausen is good! I wouldn't worry about it after only 8 days.

If the beer is really that high of an OG then having krausen still after 8 days isn't a big deal. Some of my beers take a couple weeks for it to fall. This can happen especially when you are fermenting a little lower on the temp spectrum.

Krausen is fine.

*In Yoda's voice*
Not another thought, give it, should you.

OG 1.1 with that recipe and that volume in the carboy means

Measurement error (lots of ways to do that)

Just let it finish. Krausen drops, beer clears, no more activity and you're ready to bottle. It will take as long as it takes. One thing I love about using glass carboys is being able to see all that useful subjective data.

Go ahead and keg and dry hop. Put the remaining gravity towards the bubbly maybe with some brown sugar or honey. Unless you plan on traveling with the keg in which case, let it clear first and force carb later.

I have a spunding valve with a gauge, but just a gauge and the relief valve in the corny would suffice. It's pretty hard to overshoot the psi if you check if every once in a while without having to rig it up for serving. Bring it up to 70+ now if you are in a hurry, but it might be worth taking your time with such a big beer.

Latest posts

Back