HELP! Frozen Lager and other beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoKramer

Reaction score
SO what had happened was ...

My temp controller (not an stc-1000 I wanted *f and got a Chinese knock off and Im dumb :( ) decided to take a crap in the middle of the night and turn my keezer on full retard mode and when I got up this morning it was about 18* in there and my Lager that just came off of 2 day rest and racked to secondary was mostly if not totally frozen in the carboy, there are also 2 kegs, 1 a 8% Vanilla Java Porter and the other a ~5% Canadian Ale.

The question is how screwed am I? I have overnighted an STC-1000 that I will be installing tomorrow and I have the lid closed on the keezer to hold in as much of that cold air as possible with it unplugged so it doesnt get any colder. How should I go about dealing with the 2 kegged beers or the lager?

sooo....

if one were to say, freeze a batch of bottles of Pilsner they just started lagering in a fridge turned way down, but without a temperature controller...

I'm defrosting the bottles now, but some of them are leaking frozen beer from the caps. Should I recap them, or leave them and cross my fingers? They are bottle conditioned for 6 weeks already, so won't have any bottling sugars left in them if I recap them.

attachment.php

Back