Help! Forgot to add honey at flameout!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as1084

Reaction score
I just brewed an AG saison and my OG was a little low and trying to figure out why it was low, I realized I forgot to add the honey at flameout. can I just heat up some honey with water and add it to my fermenter. I just finished brewing it about 20 min. ago. or am i screwed. thanks!

Its funny you say this because i had the exact same thing happen to me with my saison a few weeks ago. But instead of honey it was sugar and i didnt catch it tell the next day after hours of pondering why my OG was off. I was told to do exactly what you are asking, and to boil it and then add it. I would think it would be the same for honey, but maybe wait for another person to confirm this.

Storebought honey is almost always pasteurized, so you could just dump it in. I'd remove the top and any seal and heat it in a pan of water to make it more fluid and easier to pour.

If it is some farm bought honey, though, it should be heated to 170 for a few minutes.

i just heated up some honey and water and poured it in the fermenter. thanks guys!

another pro-tip. Just post once in the appropriate category. A lot of new people don't know this, but if you click 'New Posts' at the top you see every new post in every category. Saves a lot of time.

Not trying to bust balls, just making your life simpler.

Back