Help - Field to Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff...

Reaction score
Neighbor combining winter wheat today. So why not give an American wheat beer a try? I got 2 buckets hoping for a 10 gallon batch.

A couple of questions

Can I go right to the mill with this? It's red wheat and the seeds are dry, hard and swéet tasting.

I believe I have enough wheat for a 10 batch. Any good all grain recipes? He likes Key Stone, so the target for my brew is absolutely huge 😂
IMG_20210617_143609758_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210617_150143216_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
You can use some raw wheat, but you need to have at least 50% malted grains. Are you planning on malting any of it?

I could malt the wheat without much problems. What you think? malting would be better, than just using as is?

As Yooper wrote you need to have the combined mash "Lintner" value somewhere above the mid-40s for there to be enough degrading enzymes to fully convert the available starches, and you'd need to use enough malted grains to make up for unmalted wheat. Mash calculators can tell you what you could get away with...or just malt the wheat :)

Cheers!

View attachment 732677

View attachment 732678View attachment 732679View attachment 732680

it's my standard pictorial for malting grain! if you want detail feel fre to ask! wheat if malted, will self convert, but the stuff i get doesn't have a husk so would require rice hulls to sparge....

Awesome thank you much ☺. This stuff came right off the combine. I think I'll malt about 1/2 of it and perhaps do a 50 raw/50 malted all wheat, with 3 additions or about 20 IBU of some american hops like centennial maybe. Mash in about 150 ~ 152 or so. IDK...still thinking 🤔. I like experimenting, it keeps things interesting.

As Yooper wrote you need to have the combined mash "Lintner" value somewhere above the mid-40s for there to be enough degrading enzymes to fully convert the available starches, and you'd need to use enough malted grains to make up for unmalted wheat. Mash calculators can tell you what you could get away with...or just malt the wheat :)

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply, I'll post the recipe I come up with so you all can poke at it 😂

You might get a better wheat beer by buying the malted wheat and using this to make some bread with a little of the wheat unmalted in the beer. Bread and cheese would go well with the wheat beer.

He likes Key Stone
That would be a good result.

I'm not going to insult a farmer growing my grain for me...but wheat, i think i only had a key stone once or twice in my life, but i remember it being a bit more darker...

oh, damn just had a crazy thought, not sure where i was going...but oat malt has husks like there's no end! how about malting the wheat and doing a 25% oat malt, 75% wheat batch? lightly hopped?

edit: that wasn't a crack at you Jayjay....just something that popped into my head to sparge a huskless grain, without rice hulls.....

I'm not going to insult a farmer growing my grain for me...but wheat, i think i only had a key stone once or twice in my life, but i remember it being a bit more darker...

oh, damn just had a crazy thought, not sure where i was going...but oat malt has husks like there's no end! how about malting the wheat and doing a 25% oat malt, 75% wheat batch? lightly hopped?

edit: that wasn't a crack at you Jayjay....just something that popped into my head to sparge a huskless grain, without rice hulls.....
I like where this is headed, keep going...

Not brewing related, but that’s a pretty clean sample for a green combine ;)
It came straight out of the combine. I was shocked also. I was expecting some hull and chaff but there is hardly any at all. Plus 1 for John Deere, I guess.

I like where this is headed, keep going...

well honestly, if you ever brew a oatmalt beer...you'll know the joy of the smell when it's boiling! like heavy cream. but it'd have to be served hot, so maybe a beer gas mix, nitro tap....and some way way to warm it?

but that's off-topic, just saying when i've milled 20lbs of oat malt, their practicly all husk, bet i could sparge anything through them! and it would keep the beer light in flavor? but maybe a bit grassy? because those husks come at a cost?

I have to agree with the "all husk" oat malt thing.
I was surprised AF the first time I milled a few pounds (used an 0.025" gap) and the chaff volume was startling.
Left me wondering if there was anything actually inside all of that husk but I nailed the recipe's pre-boil volume * gravity so I reckoned it was on point...

Cheers!

I think I'll malt about 1/2 of it and perhaps do a 50 raw/50 malted all wheat,
100% wheat beer, whoa, that's a prestigious brewing project.

Malting the wheat is fairly easy, and if you're well-modifying and roast it lightly (170F?) it will have a tremendously high diastatic power, in the 180-220 °Lintner range. Compare to (well-modified) Pilsner malt at 120-180 °L.

The raw wheat, after milling, needs to be either boiled or cereal mashed to fully gelatinize the starches, before you can mash it. Otherwise it won't convert, or do so very slowly.

Mind, wheat is huskless and rich in protein and glucans, mashing it becomes a tub of glue quickly. You need to add plenty of husk material (rice or oat hulls) to keep the mash lush, permeable and lauterable. Then lots of stirring helps to loosen it up, too.

Given the chores involved, above, I'd stick to 50% barley, 50% unmalted (cooked or cereal mashed) wheat. Or 40/60%, that's about the limit for wheat, IME.

i thought the same......but just figured it was because it wasn't stored in a silo yet, like my feed store stuff.....
That’s a dig against John Deere, implying the machine did a better job thrashing the grain than expected compared to a different brand, ie. Case IH in @grampamark ’s case. It’s a little farmer humor… some guys are very loyal to particular colors (brands) of machinery.

If you want to use the wheat unmalted, you can make a really nice witbier using 50% two row (barley) and the rest can be unmalted wheat.
Here's a great look at Belgian witbiers: Brewing with Wheat - Brew Your Own
Beat me to it. I was about to say Witbier is about the only style I can think of that uses unmalted wheat.

Mind, wheat is huskless and rich in protein and glucans, mashing it becomes a tub of glue quickly. You need to add plenty of husk material (rice or oat hulls) to keep the mash lush, permeable and lauterable. Then lots of stirring helps to loosen it up, too.

Given the chores involved, above, I'd stick to 50% barley, 50% unmalted (cooked or cereal mashed) wheat. Or 40/60%, that's about the limit for wheat, IME.
This is why all the wheat beers I’ve ever made were all made with wheat DME.

that recipe would probably be good for a key stone drinker......at least i think so...i'd probably go a little lighter on the crystal wheat though.....and not sure about the hops at 10m?
I made a few mods

I believe I'm just going brew this up and see what becomes of it. Like I said I have a massive target 😂
Screenshot_20210618-215550.png

I think if i was a farmer, and liked key stone. "I" would love that, and love the fact my wheat made up half the grain bill! :mug:

(just my 2 cents)

edit: wait i saw the bath size increaed, but didn't realize. you left it at only 13lbs malt? 6lbs pilesner malt should be able to convert 13lbs wheat? sparge would be a *****, but as long as the wheat is just cracked, should work. i've done 8lbs 6-row, with 5lbs white flour, had to blow into the drain a few times, but worked many times for me!

and i'm not sure if you plan on malting the wheat?

Last edited:
Back