Help converting recipe to 5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romex2121

Reaction score
E4FAF838-76E0-497A-809D-D30C7D1ACD21.png
Need help getting this recipe down to a 5 gallon (preferably a 3 gallon brew) , Beer is a blonde ale at
4.8 ABV ,, 20 IBU...
I have the grains worked out but the hops I’m having issues with , hops are added at whirlpool and showed no AA on brew sheet....
The Crystal hops I have are 2.3 AA
The cascade I have is 7 AA...
I’m just not sure how much of each different hop To use in a smaller batch seeing they were using 16#’s of crystal and 8#’s of cascade ......
I also planned on using RO water and I did pick up some
calcium chloride , gypsum and acid malt (if needed) also some PH test strips ( will get a meter soon)
But again need help with how much of what salts to add to water , on the brew sheet they have salts used and PH level.........
This Beer is made here in NM and sold locally in stores it’s similar to the Centennial blonde recipe on this site but different (if that makes sense) ......
I’d really like to get this beer down pat so any help would be greatly appreciated .... Thanks

View attachment 686775
Need help getting this recipe down to a 5 gallon (preferably a 3 gallon brew) , Beer is a blonde ale at
4.8 ABV ,, 20 IBU...
I have the grains worked out but the hops I’m having issues with , hops are added at whirlpool and showed no AA on brew sheet....
The Crystal hops I have are 2.3 AA
The cascade I have is 7 AA...
I’m just not sure how much of each different hop To use in a smaller batch seeing they were using 16#’s of crystal and 8#’s of cascade ......
I also planned on using RO water and I did pick up some
calcium chloride , gypsum and acid malt (if needed) also some PH test strips ( will get a meter soon)
But again need help with how much of what salts to add to water , on the brew sheet they have salts used and PH level.........
This Beer is made here in NM and sold locally in stores it’s similar to the Centennial blonde recipe on this site but different (if that makes sense) ......
I’d really like to get this beer down pat so any help would be greatly appreciated .... Thanks

I have scaled with ease some commercial 270 gallon recipes using two programs. I suggest downloading Brewfather and using the full version for 30 days free to scale your recipe Brewfather

You can download Beersmith for a 21 day trial that will scale recipes as well Download BeerSmith Recipe Software - Manage your home brewing beer recipes | BeerSmith™ Home Brewing Software

I used Beersmith up until last November and then switched to a better user friendly Brewfather. Brewfather has a few more features over Beersmith as well. Plus, you can sign into Brewfather from any device. Thus, if you are at your LHBS and can't remember if you needed something, you can just login to Brewfather and look either at your inventory and particular recipe to see what is needed.

It will be easy to adjust all ingredients including hops and salts. The only item that you may not know is what their starting water profile was. Did they use RO water and built the salts from that?

Back