Help - Clawhammer basket repair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
hello All

i have a hole in my clawhammer basket - They want $175 for a new basket which seems crazy to me...
Anyone knowa way to patch the stainless mesh?

Picture?

You can simply "stitch" a patch over the hole. If you're very handy with it, even stitch the patch inside the hole itself.
You'd need some stainless mesh of a similar hole size and wire thinness. Then pull out a few of the wires to use as stitching yarn.

If the hole is small or frayed and most of the material is still there, just put it back together as much as you can and patch the leftover hole with anything suitable.

thanks i have an old hop spider i could donate to the cause ...was think th use that as a patch, but wasn't sure how to connect the mesh - will see what i can do
7F65560E-7FAC-47D1-9193-732295571781_1_105_c.jpeg

Ouch !!!
i have an old hop spider i could donate to the cause ...was think th use that as a patch, but wasn't sure how to connect the mesh - will see what i can do
If you want/can sacrifice the old hop spider, sure, cut a patch out and lie it on top.

First smooth out the tear as much as you can. The smoother you can make it, the better the fit, and the less tear/hole there's left.

[...] but wasn't sure how to connect the mesh - will see what i can do
If you have some stainless picture wire or such, just take one strand out to use as yarn. Or use a strand from the old hop spider.

Then weave the stainless wire strand through the existing mesh that's intact and sturdy, on both sides of the hole/tear. You'd probably want to stitch through each other hole, or each 3rd, to allow you some space when running the wire through. Also skip over the frayed/loose edges, like 2 rows/columns from the tear.

Weave the wire through 2 or 3 mesh openings on each side of the tear, back and forth until the tear is closed as much as possible. If there are still bigger holes weave across, making your own mesh.

It'd be a pita but one could obtain a few feet of 304 SS "bend and stay" 24 gauge round wire and stitch that wound right up...

Cheers!
It's not actually that much of a PITA. I've made my own over-sized hop-filters from SS mesh and some 304SS 'thread' that I got from ebay.... the shipping time was terrible owing to it being shipped from China, but if you're in the US, McMaster Carr is the way to go. You just need to have a large enough regular sewing needle, such as those for repairing tents or sails and to take your time.

got it - not sure i have the patience for that - will keep searching for a replacement basket - lol
that is not $175
that seems crazy to me from clawhammer....

Thanks for the help!!!

got it - not sure i have the patience for that
I fear I made it sound more complicated than it is...

I just thought of this:
When you prepare the patch, you fray out the ends on all sides. Those frayed ends are your attachment/stitching wires to secure the patch onto the existing mesh.

Maybe some handy family member or friend likes to take on the challenge?

We used to repair our fishing nets whenever needed, no-one else would/could do it for us. ;)

Just looking at it again...
If you can straighten out the rip, most of the hole will be closed. Even the edges will be closely meeting each other, there's no material lost, except for some fraying.
Just a thin stainless wire/strand, with a little dexterity and patience you can easily sew the edges together. How about involving the wife/gf?
Then fill in the holes, running the wire crossways, where there are any larger holes left.

There's probably no need for a patch, after all.

Back