Help choosing entire set up :D

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachHarms

Reaction score
SO I have a basic beg. Set up and my buddy liked my beer so much he wants to pay for a new set up which I'll use for mass production to provide beer for his festivals, what should I use to ensure quality as well as quantity, I haven't tried kegging and am not sure what equipment goes into that

Zach, my friend, that is a hilariously giant question with not enough information to get started with.

What are you brewing with now, and how much do you want to brew with in the future?

I've known a couple breweries that got started with a Sabco, some fermenters, and a dozen soda kegs.

With a little luck you should be up and going for less than $15,000 of somebody else's money.

need more info there.

- Are you doing all grain, partial mash, or extract?

- Are you gonna keg or bottle?

- How much beer do you wanna brew at a time?

- How easy do you wanna make it (more $$ = easier, like counterflow chillers, etc. This can be inexpensive, like a few hundred for some chilling equipment, to thousands if you get an automated brew setup)

- What's your budget?

You can get a nice 5 gallon extract setup for about $500 that you can use to brew any extract recipe. Kegging is another $500 + cost of CO2 (maybe $20-$30 every 20-40 kegs if you use a 5lb tank) vs bottles (maybe $60 for 100 bottles, another hundred for a quality capper, or $30 for a regular capper).

All grain, well, you can spend a few hundred or go big and spend thousands on a single piece of equipment + everything else you need, or you can keep it simple for a few hundred, but more work.

Keep in mind that homebrew is free beer - if you try to sell it, you're a commercial brewery and that brings in taxes, fees, licenses, and whatnot. If thats the route you wanna go, sanke kegs are the better option

Well I'm not sure on budget but probably not 15k lol, I'm not sure about ag or partial, I think going all grain might be cheaper because I could buy in bulk, I'd like to make maybe 20-50 gallons at a time and I've never kegged so again not sure about that but it woul probably be easier transporting and distributing, also taxes and licenses? Haha, i just gotta say F the man ;)

20 to 50 gallons is a very wide range and huge step over 5 gallons. You should find out what budget your friend is willing to spend and the post back. With budget in mind it will be easier to determine what kind of setup to recommend.

Well I'm not sure on budget but probably not 15k lol, I'm not sure about ag or partial, I think going all grain might be cheaper because I could buy in bulk, I'd like to make maybe 20-50 gallons at a time and I've never kegged so again not sure about that but it woul probably be easier transporting and distributing, also taxes and licenses? Haha, i just gotta say F the man ;)

Depending on where you are, the taxes/licenses could suck up the entire budget. In some states, it's not much, and in other states it's totally undoable due to the high costs of licensing a small nanobrewery.

There is ONE nanobrewery in Wisconsin. ONE. That's because of the enormous amount of work, the hoops he had to jump through, and the cost associated with it. But there are nanobreweries in other states due to less stringent requirements.

Most states have a 3-tier distribution system, and it's illegal to self-distribute. In some states, you can self distribute under a certain amount.

Before even considering buying a system, it's important to check the laws in your area. Brewing for sale without a license is one way to lose the entire system in a flash.

Back