help! carboy overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoo1302

Reaction score
hi, started my second batch( hefenweizen using extract and weihenstephan weizen yeast. after appx.14 hrs ( this morning) I checked it and the fermentation is going strong,the foam( for lack of a correct term(?)) is coming all the way out of the bubbler, we did reduce the amount of wort in the carboy to compensate for the yeast we used, but I guess not enough. we pitched @ 72-78deg.. what can I do about this?

thanks for the replies, I will get a blowoff set up manana.

good thing I'm keeping a log so this won't happen again( yeah right!) This new hobby is great, can't wait to taste all my brews and mistakes! thanks again guys( and gals?).

good thing I'm keeping a log so this won't happen again( yeah right!) This new hobby is great, can't wait to taste all my brews and mistakes! thanks again guys( and gals?).

don't wait till manana amigo. ahora is the way to go. you want to do that now. unless you like mopping your ceiling when that little hole in your airlock gets clogged. ;)

Yep, my experience with a weizen taught me to use a blow off tube too. I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. In my opinion you should find an old pitcher or something, use that for your blow off setup and just assume it's part of your brew equipment from now on.

I've seen this a few times, and picked up a 6gal better bottle this weekend, a bung I can modify and several feet of 1inch hose. I think you will be alright once you clean up the mess and get a blowoff on there. I am not sure how much more explosive fermentation you will have, but if its swelling already, you gotta relieve some pressure or you will end up with splatterwall =(

I ran the my blowoff into a cranberry juice jar (about a quart) and left it overnight. The next afternoon, I had foam all over my bench. :eek: I put the jar in bucket and that solved the problem. All told I blew off about a quart.

I've been using an extra large balloon for my blowoff. It allows you to collect the Krasuen and then add it to a sterilized jar to store for the next batch. Just make sure you sanitize the balloon before you use it.

Chilly, I want to hear more about the balloon idea. You collect the krausen then add that to your next batch of beer? I haven't heard of that and am trying to figure out why one would do that.

thanks!

The coffee stout my friend has going had the yeast pitched 48hrs ago. It overflowed last night(about 38hrs after pitching) but has almost stopped bubbling after 48hrs. Should he be worried about losing yeast or is there something else that could cause the fermentation to slow down...it could be normal for that batch but if he needs to add an overflow now would be the time to add anything else right?

no worries. you'll lose a little yeast to blow off/overflow, but there are plenty left behind. Fermentation often is strongest in the first 48 hours, then subsides, so all is normal there, too. However, if the temps were warm, that process might have been over-strong. Remember, beer temps are often 10° above ambient during that early phase. Look up the yeast specs on the web and keep within that range.

Thanks Hang Glider, I didn't realize the beer could be that much warmer during primary fermentation. It seems to have settled down now...luckily because he bought the wrong size blowoff hose so we couldn't use it! Ha ha

Latest posts

Back