Help calculating OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superkabuto

Reaction score
I need to add enough granulated sugar to a five gallon batch of lemonade to arrive at 20% ABV. Any guesses as to how much sugar I would need?

Thanks,

Rich

Yeah, I didn't even bother addressing the inability for most yeast to ever attain that, not to mention the complete nastiness that is alcohol produced from almost entirely table sugar... but for sake of completeness it would be interesting to see the starting recipe. :D

Yeah, I didn't even bother addressing the inability for most yeast to ever attain that, not to mention the complete nastiness that is alcohol produced from almost entirely table sugar... but for sake of completeness it would be interesting to see the starting recipe. :D

haha I agree, since mikes hard lemonade is a malt beverage (I think).

Personally, if I wanted a 20% lemonade, I would dilute vodka with lemonade until it was 20%.

This might actually be a good idea for the OP to figure out if he wants to try that

I bought some super high gravity yeast supposedly reaching 20% with granulated sugar. So, the alcohol produced by granulated sugar is nasty? I already have the yeast so I'm going to try it.

And I don't have a recipe. When I first started brewing I accidently bought this yeast thinking I could use it for beer. Since the yeast is for granulated sugar only the best thing I can think to do with it is to add some lemonade concentrate to the final product.

So, how much sugar do I need?

To approach 20% ABV you'd need over 20 pounds of sugar for a five gallon batch. Beyond that, it's hard telling how much lemonade concentrate you'd need to buy to balance the alcohol content, but it would need to be a lot.

Most hard lemonades, both commercial and homebrewed typically come in at around 5-8% ABV so trying to get to 20% is going to make it far unlike anything you're probably expecting.

IMO, you're going to waste a lot of time and money only to end up with what in all likelihood will be an undrinkable product. If you really want to make hard lemonade I'd search these forums for some of the existing recipes and start with one of those and see how it turns out so you know what you'd want to change in the future.

Latest posts

Back