Help, Bad SSR?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhausen83

Reaction score
Im working on an e-biab setup based on one of PJs diagrams. When i press the second switch(heat), the contactor engages and i get continuous 240v power on the output side, even though the light on the ssr indicates it is switching on and off. When the switch is off there is no continuity between the Output of the relay, but if i meter between the switched side and neutral i get 120v continuous. Do i have a bad relay or have i set this up incorrectly? Thanks

image-1589522886.jpg

image-199699921.jpg

It happens and when they go bad they stay closed. It's happened to me and there's no fixing them. You have to replace it. I now always have a spare on hand.

You will get voltage at the output of the SSR. Is that what you are measuring? You will not get current flow if the SSR is good. Do you have the SSR connected to a load?

but if i meter between the switched side and neutral i get 120v continuous.
SSRs dont block voltage, they only block current. it might seem like the same thing but its an important difference. it means that even on a good SSR, you will measure full voltage even when its supposedly off.

if you put any type of load on the SSR while its off, the voltage should immediately drop to zero or close to it.
when they go bad they stay closed
they actually usually they fail open, but sometimes they do fail closed, or somewhere in between (partial voltage/current). there is no single state of failure.

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to bench test the controller before attempting to boil water. Still need to mount the element to my kettle. Does my wiring appear to be correct before i fire this thing up? Any other things i can check for before a trial run

if you have a higher quality version of that diagram i could take a look at it. cant read anything on that one.

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to bench test the controller before attempting to boil water. Still need to mount the element to my kettle. Does my wiring appear to be correct before i fire this thing up? Any other things i can check for before a trial run
Please post the file name of the original drawing that I made. I'd be glad to post a full sized image for all to see. Or at least, please tell me the date from the lower right corner.

P-J

Nevermind:

As usual click on the image to see a full scale diagram printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

Back