Help a noob with a Medalla Light clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
Hello all. Last year, while in Puerto Rico, my family and I downed our share of Medalla. It is not exactly easy to get here so I was wanting to clone it for my second batch.

I came across this kit http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=1967?osCsid=f17a95e3e0a8c78afef429a7d9d8b5bf but am not entirely sure which options I need to check...such as which yeast would be best. I would like it to come out as clear as possible (so that my dad and brother would be more likely to drink it).

I'm thinking of the mini-mash as an all-grain is probably a bit too much for me to handle on my second batch. I guess really the only help I need is in deciding which yeast would yield the best results. Also, if the ice pack would be required as well.

If there is an easier way of cloning without the kit, I am all ears. I'd prefer to support my lhbs if possible.

Thanks muchly. :mug:

For your second batch I would choose the following options:

- Extract
- White Labs or Wyeast Activator (both are liquid)
- Yes on the ice pack
- not sure about the yeast fuel
- Yes on the priming sugar

I would get the ice pack because of the heat. You want to give the yeast the best chance to make it to you in a viable state. I have never used any sort of yeast energizer or nutrient. Somebody else will have to chime in about that. As for which yeast, I believe this is personal preference. My LHBS carries Wyeast and that's all I have ever used. Other people rave about White Labs. I would definitely go with one or the other though.

Hope this helps.

Do you have the capability to lager a beer or get lagering temps?

Exo said:
Do you have the capability to lager a beer or get lagering temps?

Unfortunately, not yet. Yet being the key word. ;)

edost, my first batch was a mini-mash I believe. I had to steep some grains in the first 20 minutes. So far it seems as though that batch came out okay (still in secondary). If there is no real taste difference between that and the extract then I'll definitely save that step.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

Nice catch exo.. didn't even notice the lager yeast.

fezzman, odds are you had an extract kit with specialty grains. What you did was make a grain "tea" and then rinse off the grains & continue with extracts.

Mini mashing requires you to hit a certain temperature & maintain it to convert the starches into fermentable sugars. You then have to sparge (read: rinse the grains) with a certain amount of water to stop the process. After that is done you carry on with your recipe, but when you are mini mashing you use less malt extract because you are using a grain in its place.

Mini mashing is basically halfway between extract and all grain. Most of the beer I make is the specialty grain method that you most likely used on your last beer.

edost said:
Nice catch exo.. didn't even notice the lager yeast.

fezzman, odds are you had an extract kit with specialty grains. What you did was make a grain "tea" and then rinse off the grains & continue with extracts.

Mini mashing requires you to hit a certain temperature & maintain it to convert the starches into fermentable sugars. You then have to sparge (read: rinse the grains) with a certain amount of water to stop the process. After that is done you carry on with your recipe, but when you are mini mashing you use less malt extract because you are using a grain in its place.

Mini mashing is basically halfway between extract and all grain. Most of the beer I make is the specialty grain method that you most likely used on your last beer.

Ahhh, that's exactly what it was. Thanks for clearing that up.

So to use the lager yeast, I should actually lager the brew or else it would be considered a steam? I can potentially lager if it will make this clone that much more 'authentic'. I do have a second fridge that i can adjust the temp of and fit a carboy in. As of yet, I've just not done much reading into the lagering process.

Am I right is saying that I ferment in the primary at room temp, rack to secondary and stick it in the fridge, then bottle and condition in the fridge?

fezzman said:
Am I right is saying that I ferment in the primary at room temp, rack to secondary and stick it in the fridge, then bottle and condition in the fridge?
You start lowering the temperature during your primary if you aren't able to bring your wort down to pitching temp for your yeast. Here is the lagering procedure I use for all of mine:
Lagering

1. Make a big yeast starter if you can and when it is done, slowly cool it down to 50°F. (Be sure you have REAL lager yeast that will work at the low temps).
  2. Cool the new wort down to about 50°F and pitch the yeast.
  3. Ferment this primary for about 11 days.
  4. Raise the temp to 65°F and hold for 3 days (two weeks total now). This is the diacetyl rest.
  5. Rack into secondary and drop down to 50°F (usually drop 5 or so degrees per day). Secondary at 50°F for two weeks (4 weeks total now).
  6. Now you are ready to really lager. Drop the temp to 33°F and let it sit as long as you have the patience – about 4 weeks minimum (which is about all I can stand). (The 4 weeks lagering makes it 8 weeks total so far).
  7. Bottle as normal and let carbonate at room temp for 2 weeks. Be sure to stir the carbonation sugar in because I've had the hot sugar water and very cold beer NOT mix well with just siphoning - yielding VERY non-uniform carbonation. (10 weeks total now).
  8. Drink.
This procedure makes excellent beer - pilsners, Oktoberfest, etc. Note that I rarely follow it exactly. Often primary is longer or secondary is longer - depending upon what else is happening. Anything close will work well.

Good luck,
Wild

Wow, that's a heckova commitment....though not unreasonable. When I get home I will toy with the settings on the garage fridge. If it is up to snuff then I will give it a go. Heck, it is mostly empty now anyways.

If by some chance my ancient yellow fridge can't get cold enough, what would be my next course of action? Use the lager yeast and ferment at room temps? Or go with a non-lager yeast?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions. I really appreciate the help.

Latest posts

Back