Help a newbie grow identify 2 things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamminjoenapo

Reaction score
Well first off I've done a ton of researching on this to no avail. My hops plant (think it's cascade) has been growing well since I planted it a month ago when a friend gave it to me. I have been noticing a few leaves with holes in them, shown below. I couldn't find anything on any of the leaves, a few black spots but nothing like aphids or caterpillars. So when I was out inspecting today two things caught my eye, the first is some sort of insect. I tried getting a picture closer than these and it jumped away like a grasshopper. It was a strange pale blue and red on his side which isn't shown that well in the two pictures. Also there was some white fuzzy stuff on the main bine and also on another smaller bine. I was able to blow them off with just a little residue left on them. Any ideas on what could be eating these and what I can do to kill them? I'm not expecting a huge yield from the two plants I have, but I am hoping to get a good root system for next year.

IMAG0659-1.jpg

IMAG0660.jpg

IMAG0662.jpg

IMAG0663.jpg

Hey Wish I could help, But I have the same holes in leaf going on too. I seen some little Caterpillar on them, but haven't seen them since. I dont think i seen your kinda bugs on mine? I may just try soappy water on the leaves.

I had the same on mine as well, turned several leaves into lace lingerie. I got some plant soap from Home Depot which you just spray on and it'll resolve. I squirt em down about twice a week for two weeks or so.

Back