Hello...Texan glad to be here!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay52

Reaction score
Howdy guys!

Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is jay and I live in the North Texas area (mid-cities). I recently moved next door to Steve Hacker, who is pretty well known and respected in this area for his homebrewing and judging abilities. Once I found this out, I immediately wanted to know more.

After attending the Bluebonnett Brew-Off held in this area, and having a deliciously wonderful time, I knew that this was something I wanted to pursue. I have another hobby, astronomy, which consumes a lot of my time and money, but I figure that I can do both, right? In case you want to know how serious I get about my hobbies, check out my webpage at www.allaboutastro.com ...all images I've personally taken. I hope, one day, my brewing and beer appreciation skills can rival the successes I've had in astrophotography, and astronomy in general.

Anyway, I actually did a few home brews several years ago with a...gulp...Mr. Beer kit, given as a gift. While this kit is certainly lampooned, it served its purpose and planted a seed...and I actually brewed a few good batches with it...learning, most importantly, the necessity of sanitation!!!

My beer preferrences among the commercial brews have been more chiefly the typical lagers. Heineken, Corona, and Red Stripe were my normal favorites. Over the last few years, I've really begun to appreciate beers like Shiner Bock, Fat Tire, and various Sam Adams varieties. As I type this, I'm sampling the "Old Ale" from the Sam Adam's LongShot competition. It's a bit malty for my tastes, but it is quite a nice sipping drink and I can appreciate the balance. However, the other two varieties in that pack are very nice indeed...the lager being my favorite...loved the Boysenberry too, though I typically like something slightly less fruity.

Currently, I have Rahr Ugly Pug and Sierra Nevada IPA in my frig...and one each of the Longshot pack. But some homebrew would be better, right?

But I disgress...

Anyway, over the last few days, I've learned a lot about this hobby and am looking forward to learning more from you guys, and of course, my neighbor, Steve. Heck, I'm already trying to figure a way to buy (or build) a beer sculpture...just don't tell my wife. ;)

I'm a veteran to astronomy forums, but it's good to feel like a newbie again...I hope I don't embarrass myself!

Cheers,

jay

It's always good to see another Texan in the forum. Welcome. This is a great place with people full of knowledge the the will to be helpful (even if they are an EAC).

Hi Jay, welcome to the forums. We will help you with the beer questions but you will have to instruct us on the atronomy stuff.

I see all grain in your future.:)

Welcome to HBT.:mug:
If you are like me and a lot of other folks, your tastes in beer will change as you develope the home brewing hobby. Drinking the beer you make and trying new commercial beers alters your preferences as your tastes develope. One thing is for sure- The process is quite fun. :D

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, guys!

Yeah, I hear you about changing tastes, though I'm quite happy with just about any style...it is, after all, beer, right!?! I do need to do some more explorations, though, particularly as it concerns things like barleywines, dopplebocks, etc. I've just always preferred the crisp, clean, hoppy, taste of a smooth lager, something I can drink really cold on a nice, summer day. Though I'll need to figure a good way to ferment a home-brew lager here in Texas!

Even better, I'd like to have some home-brew always ready for my nighttime forays under the stars, especially with my friends.

Back