Hello from WA State.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doggfish

Reaction score
Hi, been brewing for 6 months or so, and really have the bug.
I started with 5, 1 gallon extract brews......Just finished my 2nd - 5 gallon batch using extract kits .
The 2- 5 gallon kits I've brewed were on the stove using 3 gallons in the steep, boil , then adding distilled water to bring the total to 5 gallons after doing the Ice chill in the sink.

So...now, I've upped my game. Bought a Blickman Hellfire burner, A 15 gallon Spike kettle, and a Copper head Chiller for brewing my next batch in the garage.

Question: I've got a northern Brewer kit that has the stove directions (boil 3 gallons, then add 2.5-3 gallons to the fermenter after cooling)

Can I just put 6 gallons in my new kettle and get the same results using this extract brew kit (which was designed to brew on the stove)... by boiling it down to 5 gallons after the steep and boil?

Planning to brew on Sunday, if anyone has any experience with extract kits, just let me know,
Thanks

Last edited:
Howdy Dogfish and welcome from Sacramento. You absolutely can do a full boil. I’d recommend it. You’ll likely get better attenuation of hops and a lighter color overall compare to partial boils. Would recommend doing a “dry run” with plain water to find your boil off rate. You’ll probably find your boil rate to be much higher than on your stove. Those hellfires are a damn torch

Downside is it takes longer to heat and cool.

I’m primarily an extract brewer. Check out the extract brewing thread if you have questions. You don’t typically need to do a 60 minute boil with extract nor do a secondary.

Welcome to the hobby

A full boil is a plus, but as stated above you will get higher hop utilization. That means more bitterness. It depends on your taste, but to me it is a noticeable difference and won't be what was intended. I recommend checking Tinseth's website http://realbeer.com/hops/ and reducing the amount of early hops to maintain the target IBU's.

Well Shhhhhhhhoot.......Brewed my first 5 gallon extract Kit (Northern Berewer) using my new equipment in the garage.

This is my 3rd 5 gallon Kit and the first two came out Perfectly from OG to exact ABV in the final product. I brewed these two on the stove.

This 3rd one should have had an OG of 1.065 and my OG was 1.052.....A pretty big miss.

Guess I'll find out if this batch is a keeper when I do the secondary fermentation and take another gravity reading....

Last edited:
Well Shhhhhhhhoot.......Brewed my first 5 gallon extract Kit (Northern Berewer) using my new equipment in the garage.

This is my 3rd 5 gallon Kit and the first two came out Perfectly from OG to exact ABV in the final product. I brewed these two on the stove.

This 3rd one should have had an OG of 1.065 and my OG was 1.052.....A pretty big miss.

Guess I'll find out if this batch is a keeper when I do the secondary fermentation and take another gravity reading....
Welcome to the hobby!

I assume you measured your OG after boil, is this correct? Did you measure the post boil volume, and if so, how did you do the measurement?

Even if the OG was lower than the target, you will still have beer at the end of fermentation. Also, lots of instructions still say to do a secondary fermentation, but that is not necessary. Most folks just bottle, or keg, from primary.

Brew on :mug:

Hi,
Yes, I took a sample directly from my Kettle after chilling down to 70 degrees . I have a Spike Kettle with gallon markings on the inside of the Kettle. Volume was just over 5 gallons (like 5 1/8) so it probably was a little diluted.
I opened the butterfly valve a little way and put a sample in the hydrometer at around 68 degrees.

Good to know I'll have some kind of beer at the end of this. After all the work that goes into making a batch ....and cleaning up.....The beer would have to be awful bad for me to throw it out..... I can drink anything I make myself....just may not offer it to guests...

Thanks,

Back