Hello from the UK!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aelfwyn

Reaction score
OK, this is a rather tentative post....I'm just setting out into the rather confusing world of brewing mead and have been bombarded with words like demijohns, carboys, airlocks etc....and through the confusion have made my way here (with thanks to Nan who has already helped a great deal with my first (and stalled) batch, and who has pointed me over here.

I am gaining knowledge daily, and hopefully I'll soon be able to produce a (drinkable) bottle of mead to share with you all! :mug:

Hi Aelfwyn, good luck with the mead brewing.never brewed it my self though.
last week i had a "fullers organic honey dew" says it has honey in the recipe but puts it on the label as beer, i'm confused. is it mead when it's only made from honey? and beer if it's malt and honey?:confused:

Aelfwyn said:
OK, this is a rather tentative post....I'm just setting out into the rather confusing world of brewing mead and have been bombarded with words like demijohns, carboys, airlocks etc....and through the confusion have made my way here (with thanks to Nan who has already helped a great deal with my first (and stalled) batch, and who has pointed me over here.

I am gaining knowledge daily, and hopefully I'll soon be able to produce a (drinkable) bottle of mead to share with you all! :mug:

Wonderful, Aelfwyn! If you are curious about anything these folks can help you, you are in the right place,
Best regards and welcome,

Copper

Welcome. just remember that most people on this site are Americans and that they refer to US measurements!

Lot of knowledge here. I don't know anything though :ban:

Mead is straight forward and so don't get worried. It can be made difficult as you start adding things to it and try to push it almong, but it is really something you should just dive into and see what happens.

As long as you have the carboys, try a little homebrewing too. Most of this site is beer related, but don't let that put you off.

Thanks everyone!

Rodanrodanadana - Thanks for the link, that's going straight into my bookmarks...:D

Aelfwyn said:
Rodanrodanadana - Thanks for the link, that's going straight into my bookmarks...:D

You're welcome.

I found there was a lot of terms in both beer and wine making, but the concepts behind them were usually simple. Ditto the American thing, UK gallons are bigger.

If you want to try a non-beer brew, besides mead, there is always apfelwein or cider...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860

Back