Hello from the Chicagoland!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrangeHaze

Reaction score
Big beer fan here and ready for a new hobby/addiction!

I've been doing a bunch of reading, signed up two months ago to continue my research and finally gifted myself a brew kit. After more research, I added a bottle tree, vinator, and a small scale to my order of 22oz bottles today. I have off next Friday and plan on brewing my first kit. I'm so stoked to get started and also continue to learn.

I figured since I will officially be starting my first brew soon, I should go ahead and create my first thread. 35 year old checking in from the west burbs of Chicago. Happy to be here.

Thanks for the welcome, all!

I've run across BIAB but didn't dig deep as I was already overwhelmed let alone adding all grain to the list, definitely will take a look. Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome, all!

I've run across BIAB but didn't dig deep as I was already overwhelmed let alone adding all grain to the list, definitely will take a look. Thanks!

By all means, make a kit or an extract brew if you must, but if you're going to buy a kettle, get a big enough one for BIAB (mine is 15 gallons and I may go bigger if I get another one). Having been there/done that, I would start out with BIAB from my very first batch if I could. I've even been watching youtube videos and large breweries are doing 5-7 barrel batches with large stainless steel baskets. It seems like even craft brewers are seeing the value in a one vessel system. I am not saying it's the end-all, be-all, but all grain brewing doesn't have to be expensive or inaccessible. BIAB is your door to any recipe you want to make right out of the gate. I do it right on my kitchen stove.

Greetings to you and a warm welcome from the FAR northwestern burbs!

glenn514:mug:

My first batch is going to be the American Pale Ale that came with my brew kit (the MoreBeer one), second, I haven't decided yet. I suspect one of the hardest parts of brewing is decided what to do next :)

@Pappers_ Thanks! I will likely take you up on the offer sometime in the future. For now it's just read, read, read.

By all means, make a kit or an extract brew if you must, but if you're going to buy a kettle, get a big enough one for BIAB (mine is 15 gallons and I may go bigger if I get another one). Having been there/done that, I would start out with BIAB from my very first batch if I could. I've even been watching youtube videos and large breweries are doing 5-7 barrel batches with large stainless steel baskets. It seems like even craft brewers are seeing the value in a one vessel system. I am not saying it's the end-all, be-all, but all grain brewing doesn't have to be expensive or inaccessible. BIAB is your door to any recipe you want to make right out of the gate. I do it right on my kitchen stove.
Since you posted this, I've been doing a lot more reading and watching YT videos and you're right. I'll be measure my kettle when I get home to determine what size mesh bag I need, but that should be it. I have an 8 gallon kettle which will perfect for smaller batches, and that's actually what I want to do (for now at least). I love variety in my beers and I want the same when brewing, so brewing smaller batches now will give me a chance to see what I like to brew. Thanks for this!

My first batch is going to be the American Pale Ale that came with my brew kit (the MoreBeer one), second, I haven't decided yet. I suspect one of the hardest parts of brewing is decided what to do next :)

@Pappers_ Thanks! I will likely take you up on the offer sometime in the future. For now it's just read, read, read.

Since you posted this, I've been doing a lot more reading and watching YT videos and you're right. I'll be measure my kettle when I get home to determine what size mesh bag I need, but that should be it. I have an 8 gallon kettle which will perfect for smaller batches, and that's actually what I want to do (for now at least). I love variety in my beers and I want the same when brewing, so brewing smaller batches now will give me a chance to see what I like to brew. Thanks for this!

Great! Start with Distilled water and read the first post here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/a-brewing-water-chemistry-primer.198460/page-26

Keep everything clean and all should be fine.

Welcome to a great and rewarding hobby! I'm also from the Western Suburbs.

My biggest steps was to go all-grain and kegging. My latest "improvement" is my RO water system.

Latest posts

Back