Hello from New Jersey!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shroomzofdoom

Reaction score
Hello gang, I've been lurking here for a few months now and decided to sign up. I've read quite a bit here and recently inherited my brother's brew setup. I've been bugging him for 15 years to turn over his setup. Ironically, he stopped brewing when his son was born and decided to cling tightly to his gear for all this time.

While he was turning over bottles, buckets etc we came across a full case from 15 years ago!!!! Apparently he bottled it the week his son was born and just...simply...forgot. It was an Oatmeal Chocolate Stout and it went down smooth, very nice beer. We were both pretty surprised that it tasted so good.

He came over a few weeks ago and helped me brew my first beer, a BB kit of Anchor Steam. It's just been bottled and now I am drinking mass market beer and counting off the days. 20 more to go!!!

I am going to be tinkering with some recipes after I have a few brews under my belt, so for the next few I'll be probably be doing some kits.

I was wondering if anyone any leads on quality submersible digital probe thermometers? I saw a DIY, and also managed to kill my remote probe turkey thermos all in time for Thanksgiving!

Anyway, glad to be here...very excited about the prospect of making my own!!!

Welcome to HBT! Finding old beers like that is always fun. Glad they still tasted good!

Congrats and welcome(I'm new myself). Where in NJ are you located?

Jersey. Where are you guys from? I live in Piscataway. I am going this weekend to the HB store in freehold-Brewer's Apprentice. Wife asked me to make out my Christmas list! I already went to a place called the Gaslight in South Orange, but that is kind of a pain to get to for me. Nice place, just a real pain to get to. Curious what you all use for LHBS?

nostalgia, I was using some digital turkey thermos and I need to get more accurate, I am looking for something fully submersible. Not sure if that's too much to ask. The turkey thermos are accurate (well, the name brands are) but they obviously are not meant to be submerged. With that one, it appears that it's only submersible to the plug. I am wondering if I am just off here, but while brewing my first time--it just seemed like a fully submersible thermometer would be a great device. Am I missing something here?

Another Piscataway brewer eh? I use Brewmasterswarehouse.com and a bunch of others. Some of the guys in the homebrew club use Keystone in PA and Princeton Homebrew ironically in Trenton.

The remote probe deals are a great idea but I just haven't seen one built properly.

The remote probe deals are a great idea but I just haven't seen one built properly.
+1. That's why I was so pleased to find the K-style thermocouple in the thread I linked. The sensing bit is completely sealed in PTFE so it's not only completely waterproof, but the whole thing is good up to 450F. My only complaint is I wish the wire were less stiff, but you can't have everything :)

-Joe

I like the DIY submersible probe idea, I am just at a loss for words that no one's invented one for sale yet? Hmmm....

Bobby, hello! Good to know I found other locals here. Reading your posts, you might expect a PM or two from me every now and again. ;-) PA seems awful far to go for brewing supplies, I am going to check out the place in Trenton and Princeton this w/e.

I plan on going all mad scientist over the next few weeks, So I want to brew smaller batches...I am goint to get some stuff for smaller runs. That way if I mess up a Spruce beer, I don't get stuck with 4 G of the stuff. Yanno?

DragonTail, Lunar, bopper, arch1tect---Thanks for the warm welcome guys, glad to be here!

Welcome, Jersey!

On the thermo front, inspired by a post here on the board, I went down to the local hobby shop and got some silicone tubing (used by hobbyists for fuel line on RC cars) to seal the wire and end of my turkey probe off. I managed to get tubing too small (even with Keg Lube to help) for my probe, so I gotta head back and get 3 more feet of it. At $0.95/ft, it's not a huge investment, provided it gives me peace of mind. I have tested this thermometer and it's perfectly calibrated, so I'm going with it rather than investing in a new one!

The guys in freehold are good. I would do some Internet research on prices before you go just so you don't overpay too much. Austin homebrew (google the URL) is a good store to buy from or check prices.

Goodluck!

Welcome, Jersey!

On the thermo front, inspired by a post here on the board, I went down to the local hobby shop and got some silicone tubing (used by hobbyists for fuel line on RC cars) to seal the wire and end of my turkey probe off. I managed to get tubing too small (even with Keg Lube to help) for my probe, so I gotta head back and get 3 more feet of it. At $0.95/ft, it's not a huge investment, provided it gives me peace of mind. I have tested this thermometer and it's perfectly calibrated, so I'm going with it rather than investing in a new one!

This is pure genius. rep+ Have you done the submersion test in boiling wort? I am interested in hearing the outcome.

Lunar, thanks again for the info! Christmas is coming up so my wife wants me to go to the store with her and make a list. After that, I turn the little bargain hunter loose on the internet and she makes magic happen! I really want a 3G Carboy

hello from fellow jersey guy here currently residing north west style in jersey...sounds like your in the fun"mad scientist" part of brewing, thats awesome good luck and +1 score on the 15 YO stout!!!

Thanks brewslut...next up is a Sierra Pale Ale clone...after that (and I get a 1/2 batch carboy) that's when I start experimenting. OK to experiment with smaller volumes, but just don't want 5 G if it's a crummy idea! As I understand it, I can't ferment in primary if it's only half full.

My bro experimented a lot with big beers and one of my faves was one that was loaded with nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar, molasses, etc but and with a gentle touch of green apple. It wasn't fruity at all, but VERY drinkable.

For the summer, I am going to try a light or even a Hefe with orange and basil elements...It's inspired by a drink that we love called the Orange-ito (orange+mojito);
-Captain Morgan, OJ, 7-Up, Sour mix, Basil

I know many turn their noses up at the Basil part, but if you fix yourself an Orangito you'll probably love it. I was drinking the Shock Top from Michelob and thought: 'Hey, this needs basil'

I guess that's how it starts. Anyone doing 'small batches' or is 5G the norm? My biggest concern is bottles right now. I only have a little over 4 cases.

Hey, Just joined today after doing much research and this site turning up for almost everyone of my questions.... i figured i would just jump on this thread instead of starting a new one. Anyway, I live in New Brunswick and plan on my first batch in about a week or two. I am guessing I will just start with an extract kit since it will be my first time and have no one with real experience to work with. Anyway I will be popping up here and there so thank you and CHEERS!:mug:

Bobby M seems like you live pretty close to me being that your from Piscataway....

Yes, very close. I can usually hear the Rutgers games from my back yard. If you need any help getting going, let me know. I enjoy mentoring new brewers and getting them on the right track.

Guys, I have a full bar at my house. We have frequent poker games, movie nights, and football parties. I am couch surfing each and every Sunday like clockwork. My wifey and I love the Giants and love having guests over.

If anyone is interested in bringing a few bottles over and hanging out, I would gladly host. I have about 2 cases of CA Common (my first) and it's pretty darn good. Would love to share! Let me know if you are all interested (any Sunday works for me) I would love to share some beer (and some recipes) with some locals.

Perhaps next season we can get a tailgate party going for some Knights games...I live 5 minutes away!

Sweet! I am on the corner of landing lane and george ST..... I actually look over out at the stadium 15th floor.... we could also do something here as wifey is an awesome cook too! i am currently drinking a fine DFH 60 minute I.P.A which are sooooo delicious:rockin:

Cool, I live over on Stelton Road, near Quick Chek. I usually have a few people come over for the games, when you have a bar people just manage to show up. (shrugs) I typically start watching pre-game hype around Noon. If y'all would like to come over for a beer, just hit me with a PM and I'll give you details. An open invitation stands to all local homebrewers! Piscataway-represent! Price of admission is at least one handcrafted beer. ;-) Bring your wife, wives are welcome!

Small world. I used to live on Evans Ave two blocks from that Quik Chek. I miss Fratelli's pizza. I'd come this Sunday but my wife has plans for Sunday and I'll be watching the kids after a short detour to Morganville to rack off my share of the club Steinbier project. See the youtube vid on that one, quite interesting. Let me see when I'll be relieved of babysitting.. I might be able to make it over later.

Guys I sent you PMs for personal invitations. I would be honored to have a few new brew friends over. Sundays in our house are for football (and beer, of course) My wife and I are 30-somethings with dogs (no kids) a full bar and a rapidly dwindling supply of my own brew (also have a fridge of random CB). I am brewing a Pale Ale Saturday, but am just sitting around waiting until the Giants game Sunday night. If anyone wants to come by, just send me a PM.

Back