Hello from Dublin, Ireland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmc

Reaction score
Howdy,
me just new here. love beer, especially Belgian stuff, and just started getting into home brew. Are there any other Irish ppl around?
Cheers
Ken

Hey Ken. Glad you found us! :)

I'm not Irish, but I have red hair and I really dig the Belgian beers, too. You probably have a much easier time getting them than I do, though.

Anyway, welcome to homebrewing and to the forum. Cheers! :D

I'm noticing a trend with our European members.....they all seem to like Belgian beers. I'm enjoying a Hoegaarden right now, but I don't count, 'cause I'm from Oklahoma. :D

Welcome, Ken!

Sam

Thanks guys,
dunno what it is, but I reckon the fact that the ppl here are into homebrew/beers makes them adventurous and they stumble across that sweet belgian nectar. I know ppl here in Ireland who only drink mass produced marketed on tv muck - will always choose it even if in a pub like (http://www.dublinpubs.com/themes/porterhouse/inside/html/beerint.htm) - although to be fair this is the bestest pub in Dublin, and don't have any Heineken/Bud/Miller/Coors/Guinness etc on tap - only their onw brew on tap and some select "specials" from other breweries. When I go to the offlicence (beer shop!) I always get me a belgian, or sometimes an asian - eg Tsingtao, Asahi, Tiger, Cobra...
But yeah it's reasonably easy for me to get Belgian stuff here - even easier when I lived in The Netherlands, which is where I found all that lovely beer. Favourite of all while there was probably Barbar Bok. Was a real dark meady beer.
K

Hello Ken,

Just thought I'd mention that I am also Irish, from Belfast, but live in Scotland now.

Janx said:
Hey Ken. Glad you found us! :)

I'm not Irish, but I have red hair and I really dig the Belgian beers, too. You probably have a much easier time getting them than I do, though.

Anyway, welcome to homebrewing and to the forum. Cheers! :D

Two years ago I was asked to see if I could find a certain type of Belgian beer (I think it was Belgian) that was made by Monks. It came in a red label (as I recall) and with the EZ Cap 22 oz type bottles. I got a couple cases of the stuff and drank myself silly, I wish I had kept the bottles!! It was not real heavy in flavor but was really smooth beer. If I heard the name I am sure I would remember it. Any idea?

I dunno what "EZ cap 22oz bottles" are, everything is metric here - 330 ml being the most common belgian bottle, but the only red label I can think of offhand is Chimay, but it's quite a strong flavour.... Will try to see if I can think of any more. Was it a totally red label, or red writing or red pictures or what. Duvel has red writing on a white label - i presume you don't mean something like that.

Steeko - good to have a fellow Irishman aboard. Where in scotland are you living? I've never actually been there yet. On the "to do" list though!
Ken

Hi Ken,

Im right up North, about 20 miles from John O' Groats. Lovely place, at least when its not raining :)

Hey, sorry to bring up an old thread but

kenmc said:
me just new here. love beer, especially Belgian stuff
It seems I am just a blatant clone of this man here!

Howdy I'm Dec, I'm a student from Dublin. Yous have helped me a lot since I started this. On my second brew at the mo'. Once that's out of the primary I'm throwing another one in.

Yeah, been to belgium about 5 times in the past 2 years. THAT'S how much I love their beer. Duvel, kriek, bush (lethal stuff), grimberg, leffe, maes. Looking for places to buy belgian beer locally but it's awful pricey. Being a student, I'm far too poor to fork out these prices. So an affliction of skinflintedness plus a penchant for good beer (none of this carlsberg/bud/coors lite crap) has lead me naturally to homebrewing.. :)

welcome aboard! I am 100% Irish (by descent, born in U.S.). Due to my family's lineage, I am qualified to become an Irish Citizen as well. My paperwork is actually in progress. Most of my brothers and my sister have already done it. Doesn't really get you much in the U.S., but it is a way to keep close with your roots- My family is originally from Skibbereen, in Cork (O'Sullivans, Fitzgeralds, and Kilroys)....FWIW

Ah skibs. One of the nicest places in one of the nicest counties in the country. I love Cork. I presume you've been t/here a bunch of times???

I think (heard from and Irish bloke I worked with) there are more Irish in Boston than Ireland... could've been Chicago, though.... ;)

I think there's more Irish EVERYWHERE than in Ireland!!! Why do you think that there are so many Irish Bars around the world??? We only have a population of ~4 million, and thats only recently - used be around 3 million or so 15 years or so ago, a lot of ppl have come home, and a lot of ppl have moved here.
I've met some Americans in my time who claim to have like 12.5% Irish blood.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. These people did *not* look or sound Irish - ducks or not! I find it strange that so many people claim Irish Heritage. If they were really that big into it (Ireland/Irishism), they'd actually probably find enough things to convince them otherwise! I don't see the attraction to be honest, especially when I look out at the weather today!

America is a very young country, and we're made up of people from all over the place. This leaves us with little to no real tradition or heritage. This is why people here look down the family tree toward the roots... just to have an idea where they came from and to have some sense of belonging to something.

My family claims that our name (walker) came from England. However, I did some research once on our family crest and found that it came from Ireland. They don't believe me, but....

-walker

I, too, am of Irish descent. Family came from Croom in Cork(or is it Limerick ? ) in 1745. The Irish are the most opressed and downtrodden people on Earth. The Romans, the Vikings, and the English have controlled that fair island forever. Even with all that, the strength and humor of the people is unaffected. I think we can all identify with that in some way. A people that can be chained, but not broken. God loves the Irish. At the same time, He invented whiskey so that they wouldn't take over the world. We're all a little Irish. Go with it and be proud.

Crom Abu !
Monkey

kenmc said:
I think there's more Irish EVERYWHERE than in Ireland!!! Why do you think that there are so many Irish Bars around the world??? We only have a population of ~4 million, and thats only recently - used be around 3 million or so 15 years or so ago, a lot of ppl have come home, and a lot of ppl have moved here.
It's reckoned there are 70 million people abroad who are entitled to claim an Irish passport. Which is an insanely large number. Back in 1830 there were 8 million people in Ireland. After the famine ended there was an emmigratory culture for 150 years. Most people had 10-15 children familys yet our population still fell up until around 1990. It's now the highest since 1870.

But I understand where American's especially are coming from when they hold their heritage with such importance. It can be strange coming from our perspective but I think Walker explained it very well..

The Irish are the most opressed and downtrodden people on Earth. The Romans, the Vikings, and the English have controlled that fair island forever.
The Romans never quite got as far as Ireland. As such the celtic culture was preserved unlike on the continent and england where it was romanised. We were quite free until the 12th century, happy enough in our own little tribal celtic battles and folklore. Yeah a few viking raids but not nearly as bad as the east coast of britain was getting. Then came the normans and 700 years of continual british conquering.

better late than never...from rainy Cork....just a beginner in HB but have a handy few blegian visits under my belt...mainly brussels / Ghent / Antwerp.....anyone ever tackle a Gauze....the sour stuff...wow had it in la morte subtle I think its called....like sucking on sour sweets....grimbergen duble is my favourite...not gone on the fruity stuff...I like mine brown and usually under 7 %abv siuts....

Back