Hello everyone 😁..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarheathen

Reaction score
So,I wanna have some fun.I went out and bought a 8gl pot still from Amazon. Got all the fixen’s I THOUGHT I would need. I have run a couple of runs but didn’t like either one. I did a grape & apple flavored, my friends liked it but I thought it could have been better.. in doing some searching it looks like a sugar mash would be the simplest & maybe add flavor to it.. like I said, 8gl pot into 1/2 copper tube into a 3-1/2gl jar thumper out to a 1/4 tube condenser.. any suggestions? Thx

in doing some searching it looks like a sugar mash would be the simplest & maybe add flavor to it..

if you're thinking sugar wash...i find a couple pounds of wheat germ boiled to make a tea for nutes, and as far as flavoring...oven toast your favorite smoking wood, and let it sit for a couple weeks...cheapest easiest.

And Welcome! :mug:

Sugar wash is easy and foolproof. IME, wines that are sulfited require carbon filtering and aging to smooth out. All-grain mashes that I've done also required really tight cuts, otherwise the harsh heads take take a loooong time to smooth out. Sugar wash has soft esters and is easily cleaned up with a second trip through the pot still, yields are good and commercial baker's yeast is super cheap when purchased in 500g blocks. I've also had great luck with jaggery and panela, if you're into rum flavors.

Back