Custom Pot Filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am putting the final touches on a pot filling wand, I have a copper pipe supplying some tubing, into a stainless tube bent to allow it to sit at the edge of a pot. My thought was that the bend would keep it from falling off the edge when filling, but I didn't account for the water pressure being great enough to make the thing go flying. I am trying to brainstorm either something like a clip to hold it on the edge, or maybe fitting on something closer to the type of nozzle on a faucet to restrict the flow. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4973.jpg
    IMG_4973.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
How about just not turning the valve on all the way and keep the pressure lower from the valve into the tubing? Or, ditch the rubber tubing and use some sort of flexible copper or hard line and put it on a swivel? I am by no means an expert on this, but is there any way you can make it swivel and then you can put it up against the wall and swivel it out when you need it? In doing a quick Amazon search, you can get one complete with nipple to mount into your existing water line for less then 100 bucks. No need to recreate the wheel if you don't have to. Of course, I am saying that but I like to do the DIY thing myself too. Good luck, and I am sure others with more experience will give you some good suggestions. Rock On!!!!!!

How about just not turning the valve on all the way and keep the pressure lower from the valve into the tubing? Or, ditch the rubber tubing and use some sort of flexible copper or hard line and put it on a swivel? I am by no means an expert on this, but is there any way you can make it swivel and then you can put it up against the wall and swivel it out when you need it? In doing a quick Amazon search, you can get one complete with nipple to mount into your existing water line for less then 100 bucks. No need to recreate the wheel if you don't have to. Of course, I am saying that but I like to do the DIY thing myself too. Good luck, and I am sure others with more experience will give you some good suggestions. Rock On!!!!!!
Even cracking the valve open is very high pressure, it's pretty much straight off the main water line. I wanted to avoid doing a hard pipe solution and keep it as a hose so that I could fill other vessels as well, buckets and FVs and such. But thanks for the suggestions!

Even cracking the valve open is very high pressure, it's pretty much straight off the main water line. I wanted to avoid doing a hard pipe solution and keep it as a hose so that I could fill other vessels as well, buckets and FVs and such. But thanks for the suggestions!
Got it. I am wondering then, if you need to up the hose diameter to handle the pressure, or make it longer to spread the pressure out a bit? Also, I know in sprinkler systems they make a pressure reducer for use with drip lines, maybe there is something like that out there you can use to drop the pressure a bit. Heck, I don't know, but I did the DIY stuff, so I will be watching this. Rock On!!!!!!!!!

Action and Reaction: it's a physics thing, you're ejecting so much mass and the wand weighs so little :)
Maybe lash a gallon water jug to the hose and see how much water inside it would take to keep the wand from lifting off the kettle rim...

Cheers!

I am putting the final touches on a pot filling wand, I have a copper pipe supplying some tubing, into a stainless tube bent to allow it to sit at the edge of a pot. My thought was that the bend would keep it from falling off the edge when filling, but I didn't account for the water pressure being great enough to make the thing go flying. I am trying to brainstorm either something like a clip to hold it on the edge, or maybe fitting on something closer to the type of nozzle on a faucet to restrict the flow. Any ideas?
1677507331131.png

I use a spring clamp to hold my hose in place while filling the pots, and it works fine. Just get the best size for your pot and pipe

Unfortunately, I don’t have a photo of my completed project to share at the moment but I made a wand to attach to my brew pump hose to transfer water from my RO water tank to my boil kettle. Although, from the info you provided your situation may be a bit different but I think it would work great. I used a “copper return bend” that I got online at Supplyhouse.com. The photo is below. The beauty of this fitting is that it is basically a U shaped fitting that in my case, with a 3/8” diameter copper tube had a 1.5” radius And hangs beautifully over the edge of my kettle. It also comes in other diameters but this was large enough for the amount of water i was pumping into my kettle And it hangs well on the outside of my 20 gallon kettle. I connected 6” of copper pipe on part going inside my kettle and about 12” on the outside. This length was chosen because it was what I happened to have on hand. They were long enough to ensure it can’t pop off the kettle when to pump is turned on. It’s almost impossible when you have a hose attached due to the weight of the filled hose and copper wand overall. I used copper fittings, also available from SupplyHouse.com to transition to a 1/2” threaded male end so I could screw on a 1.5” tri clamp fitting on the end to work with the hoses I already have. It could easily have a garden hose end or a hose barb. This way I could use my brew pump and hoses. There is no need for a special pump just for my RO water…

1677526314209.jpeg

Latest posts

Back