Heineken - Only 3 Natural Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norselord

Reaction score
Somehow I think this tag-line got lost in translation.

a) Water, Yeast, Malt, Hops - at the bare minimum that's 4 ingredients

b) The tag could be interpreted that 3 ingredients are natural, and the rest is all artificial.

Am I the only one?

I just looked on their sight. They say barely, hops, water are the ingredients. They state that yeast isn't an ingredient...which I guess I don't understand?

The phrasing doesn't work though.

What they mean is: only 3 ingredients, which are all-natural.

What it seems they say is: of all the ingredients, only 3 of them are natural.

If the yeast is filtered out then it would make sense to leave it off the ingredient list. Of course then they should include everything the yeast leaves behind which doesn't get filtered out.

I don't think it's really a big deal though.

On a side note I had a vindication brewing Coffe Porter tonight which proudly proclaimed in capital letters "No Chemicals". Let's see....

H2O
CO2
Alcohol
Half dozen or more chemicals added by the hops
Dextrin
Protein
Vitamins
Various by products of fermentation
Probably some leftover sanitizer

Brewing is in itself a chemistry experiment with a delicious byproduct. I get that they are trying to say "no additional chemicals added besides those that are natural byproducts of the brewing process" but if you're going to be so blantenly incorrect why put anything at all about chemicals on the bottle?

Back