Heiliman's Special Export

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is awesome. Nice case.

You can travel the world over and never find a better beer... In this case I just traveled from Chicago to Decatur and pulled me one of these.... :D

deere322- You are right. This is a keeper. The hop taste is good but not overly bitter.

It's quite better than HSE.

View attachment 1457324076279.jpg

The box is cool. I have all the original green bottles too but they have a shallow transition to the neck. Makes pouring without yeast sediment getting into your glass hard.

The box is cool. I have all the original green bottles too but they have a shallow transition to the neck. Makes pouring without yeast sediment getting into your glass hard.

If you have problems with yeast and pouring you can try this type of yeast. This is good for a beer that you want little to no yeast getting out of the bottle. It can be used with other yeast types just let the beer clear well and then use this for carbing.

Muntons Premium Gold

YT-M-Gold_th.jpg

Munton's Premium Gold Yeast (6 grams): Simply requires sprinkling onto the surface of your wort - no need to stir - and the yeast will rehydrate and activate within just a few hours. The yeast has excellent crusting characteristics forming a firm 'jelly like' deposit at the bottom of the fermenter and bottle or barrel. Flavor profile is excellent and the yeast has the ability to drop out of suspension very rapidly.

If you have problems with yeast and pouring you can try this type of yeast. This is good for a beer that you want little to no yeast getting out of the bottle. It can be used with other yeast types just let the beer clear well and then use this for carbing.

Muntons Premium Gold

YT-M-Gold_th.jpg

The flip side is then you have crusty yeast in the bottom of your bottle. I've used highly flocculent English yeasts in the past and had to scrub bottles. Pick your poison I guess.

Spex.jpg

Couldn't help myself. First pour out of the keg that's been sitting since saturday on gelatin yielded a semi hazy looking beer, great white tight bubbled cap and glugg lacing stripes indicating the number of my sips.

Aroma of spicy bread/cracker malt notes, earthy mint like hops that's gentle. But it has a subtle lager quality that I get even though it's us-05.

Taste is, well, too damn easy drinking, balanced malt with gentle bitterness with a dry finish. Never even comes close to sweet at all. Finishes with a combo of malt and lingering hop dryness that makes me want more.

Mouth feel is somewhat medium bodied, not watery at all but with a substantial fullness that's not overwhelming.

Damnnit I've already had a couple on a school night and am feeling the effects from it's 7+% abv.

This is a f-in keeper.

The flip side is then you have crusty yeast in the bottom of your bottle. I've used highly flocculent English yeasts in the past and had to scrub bottles. Pick your poison I guess.

I never have to scrub bottles because I rinse them out with hot ass tap water after pouring into a glass. Never have I had to scrub a bottle since doing this.
An over night soak in Oxyclean and I'm good to go to bottle the next day.

View attachment 343185

Couldn't help myself. First pour out of the keg that's been sitting since saturday on gelatin yielded a semi hazy looking beer, great white tight bubbled cap and glugg lacing stripes indicating the number of my sips.

Aroma of spicy bread/cracker malt notes, earthy mint like hops that's gentle. But it has a subtle lager quality that I get even though it's us-05.

Taste is, well, too damn easy drinking, balanced malt with gentle bitterness with a dry finish. Never even comes close to sweet at all. Finishes with a combo of malt and lingering hop dryness that makes me want more.

Mouth feel is somewhat medium bodied, not watery at all but with a substantial fullness that's not overwhelming.

Damnnit I've already had a couple on a school night and am feeling the effects from it's 7+% abv.

This is a f-in keeper.

You had laughing towards the end of your post.

Do some more product performance testing tonight.

Done...

I still can't believe you killed the keg in a week.... Thats awesome!!!!

Approximate keg volume was 4.5 gallons.
Actually 4 days from my initial first sample, but I'm good with it.
Got to share my wares with more than myself and neighbor/HBTmember BrewerTom.
Everybody enjoyed it and that gives me more satisfaction than hoarding all to myself.

Approximate keg volume was 4.5 gallons.
Actually 4 days from my initial first sample, but I'm good with it.
Got to share my wares with more than myself and neighbor/HTB member BrewerTom.
Everybody enjoyed it and that gives me more satisfaction than hoarding all to myself.

So True...

I'm planning to make a Single Malt Single Hop (SMASH Beer) next.

10 lbs pale malt. 2 oz of Summit. @ 60, 15, and 5 Pitching US-05....

I plan to yank out 1 lb of pale malt out of the 10 and toast it dry at 350F for ~15 minutes. Kinda like a toasted Munich.

Made it before.... Its an awesome Pale Ale IBU will be over 50 IBU with an orange/tangerine hop taste and a toasted malt background.

Spring Smashiola

Latest posts

Back