Hefeweizen still foaming...help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jassdca

Reaction score
I guess I should start with some backstory.

About 5 weeks ago I brew my first all-grain hefeweizen and attempted to keg it for the first time as well. Following recommendations I found on several forums I decided to force carb the beer, chilling it first then pressurizing the tank at ~30psi shaking/rolling the tank for a few minutes then letting it rest at the pressure for 4-6hrs then purged the tank I reduced the pressure on the regulator to 12 psi and left for a few days. After which the beer carbonation tasted good, but a pint was 5/6 foam when pouring.

Since then I have adjusted my regulator pressure all over from 25 psi to 10 psi in an attempt to figure out the foam. Additionally I added 2 clean epoxy mixing sticks to the dip tube, which I read can reduce foam significantly (I guess by creating resistance). I still have the same amount of foam and there are bubbles forming in the line near the keg end. I listed my setup below. Please help!

Thanks All

Setup:

Danby Kegerator with single faucet tower
Conry Keg with quick-connects for the Co2 and Beer lines
Frig Temperature: 38-40 F
~4.5 ft of 3/16" ID vinyl tubing
Distance from middle of keg to faucet = ~2.5 ft

Note: For 17-18psi for Hefe I calculated 4.5 ft of line would be close to correct with the setup I have. Right??

I guess I should start with some backstory.

About 5 weeks ago I brew my first all-grain hefeweizen and attempted to keg it for the first time as well. Following recommendations I found on several forums I decided to force carb the beer, chilling it first then pressurizing the tank at ~30psi shaking/rolling the tank for a few minutes then letting it rest at the pressure for 4-6hrs then purged the tank I reduced the pressure on the regulator to 12 psi and left for a few days. After which the beer carbonation tasted good, but a pint was 5/6 foam when pouring.

Since then I have adjusted my regulator pressure all over from 25 psi to 10 psi in an attempt to figure out the foam. Additionally I added 2 clean epoxy mixing sticks to the dip tube, which I read can reduce foam significantly (I guess by creating resistance). I still have the same amount of foam and there are bubbles forming in the line near the keg end. I listed my setup below. Please help!

Thanks All

Setup:

Danby Kegerator with single faucet tower
Conry Keg with quick-connects for the Co2 and Beer lines
Frig Temperature: 38-40 F
~4.5 ft of 3/16" ID vinyl tubing
Distance from middle of keg to faucet = ~2.5 ft

Note: For 17-18psi for Hefe I calculated 4.5 ft of line would be close to correct with the setup I have. Right??

At 12 psi, it shouldn't be overcarbed but it sounds like it is. You could try purging the keg often, to see if it settles down.

For 17-18 psi (assuming 40 degrees-ish), you'd need more like 15 feet of 3/16" line, but the epoxy mixers should help with that.

I'd try purging often (to make sure it's not overcarbed), and using 15' of beerline. That should balance the system.

Another issue could be a warm line in the tower. Cold beer would hit the warmer line in the tower and foam like an SOB. Do you have the tower cooled?

I don't have a ton of experience yet...just kegged my first beer...but I'm pretty sure 4.5ft is way too short for that pressure. Everything I've read on here says to start at 10+ and cut if it's too long.

I recently had an overcarbed ale. I was dead set on trying to balance my kegerator by adding restrictors to my dip tubes, lines, etc but once I got my pour speed waaaaay down I finally accepted that speeding up a force carb like that just isn't reliable. If you're very practiced at the technique it can work well, but don't expect that right off the bat. I ultimately did the following:

For you, I'd leave your epoxy mixers in the dip tube (4.5 feet is almost definitely too short for proper hefeweizen serving pressures) and pull the pressure release. Then I'd shake the keg, wait a minute or two, cover everything with a towel (unless you like foam showers) and just let out as much pressure as you can without making a mess. Then wait and repeat. Then you'll probably want to let it sit for a couple hours to settle down, but you should be able to pull a decent pint.

Back