Hefeweizen color too light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoHomebrew

Reaction score
I brewed a hefe 2 months ago before I started modifying my water using a single infusion mash and it is too light and not a popping color compared to German examples. I lived in Germany and am used to the bottom of the glass being yellow and the top stightly orange. My recipe was 60/40 wheat/German Pils. I also seem to notice that local German craft beer examples in the Denver area like Pils and Helles are also too light caomparatively. I have two theories and would like some help.

1. Docoction mashing: My understanding is that all of these German styles are decocted in Germany which will deepen the color. I would expect small craft brewers in this area do not have the ability to do a decoction mash.

2. High mash PH. As I said, I made this before adjusting my water. I have since bought a water report and now know the Ph of this hefe must have been around 6.0. Can Ph affect color?

Any thoughts would be great as I am making a Kolsch tomorrow and would like to use the traditional recipe and still get a deep straw color instead of the thin one I got with the hefe. Especially since Kolsch and Hefe often use the same ingredients.

Option 1. is more probable. Possible explanation for lighter beers in US is that their mash equipment is not suited for decoction mashing, which requires pumping mash from tun to tun, and at least one of them has to be heated to bring the mash to boil.

And pH affects color, lower pH gives lighter color, not the other way. pH of your water is not that significant, as mash has buffering capabilities.

Consider adding some melanoidin or munich malt to get the darker color. There are numerous recipes here that use 1 lb or so of munich for taste and color in a hefe. And melanoidin can simulate the effects of decoction mashing.

Consider adding some melanoidin or munich malt to get the darker color. There are numerous recipes here that use 1 lb or so of munich for taste and color in a hefe. And melanoidin can simulate the effects of decoction mashing.

What effects of decoction will melanoidin simulate?

+1 Definitely agree. It adds the bready/toast flavors. Delicious and will definitely help with the color. Don't need much melo, 3% should do it. And I love Munich malt.

It simulates the forming of melanoidins, hence the name. Kind of like lower-temp caramelization...think browning butter or toast.

+1 Definitely agree. It adds the bready/toast flavors. Delicious and will definitely help with the color. Don't need much melo, 3% should do it. And I love Munich malt.

It simulates the forming of melanoidins, hence the name. Kind of like lower-temp caramelization...think browning butter or toast.

So maybe I should scratch my decoction Kolsch plans for tomorrow, pick up some melanoidins and do a single infusion. I also noticed traditional Kolsch recipes don't even get to the minimum color range.

That's up to you. Melo is the best facsimilie of a decoction, but still not the real thing. For me, it's close enough to save me the time. But if you have the time, you can't beat a real decoction.

That's up to you. Melo is the best facsimilie of a decoction, but still not the real thing. For me, it's close enough to save me the time. But if you have the time, you can't beat a real decoction.

Well I'll try the decoction tomorrow and save a trip to the store. Next weeks brew is an Oktoberfest so I'll try the melo then. Not great beers to compare each technique, but I can compare them to commercial examples.

You wouldn't do this in a Koelsch, but some Weizens use <1% Carafa Special (usually type I) to give them some color.

In the Koelsch, 1/4 lbs Melanoidin seems to be the sweet spot - more and it'll impact the flavor too much.

I use Carahell in mine in leu of Munich or Carafa. It gets me a nice gold/orange color, about 5-6 SRM and adds a nice bready/malty background to the hefe. Excellent malt

There are numerous recipes here that use 1 lb or so of munich for taste and color in a hefe.

Actually, I went out on a limb and have brewed two batches of Hefe that are 50/50 Wheat/Munich Malt. I LOVE this combo (just drank a glass of it).

It gives you that very faint touch of color in the otherwise pale beer, and gives a nice malty edge that is kind of like a decoction. These two Hefes are much closer in flavor to imported hefes (Franiskaner, Weinhstephenner, etc) than my previous efforts, which all seemed a little too pale and thin. Despite my concerns, the beer did NOT turn out more malty/bready than a Hefe ought to be, so don't fear the Munich!

Actually, I went out on a limb and have brewed two batches of Hefe that are 50/50 Wheat/Munich Malt. I LOVE this combo (just drank a glass of it).

It gives you that very faint touch of color in the otherwise pale beer, and gives a nice malty edge that is kind of like a decoction. These two Hefes are much closer in flavor to imported hefes (Franiskaner, Weinhstephenner, etc) than my previous efforts, which all seemed a little too pale and thin. Despite my concerns, the beer did NOT turn out more malty/bready than a Hefe ought to be, so don't fear the Munich!

This will be my next brew. Thanks for sharing that!

Back