Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neonsilver

Reaction score
I want to make a hefe this weekend but I don't know where to start. This will be an extract recipe and I want it to be a very close to style hefe. Help me out here guys, thanks.:ban:

You are in luck. Hefeweizen couldn't be easier with extract.

Wheat extract (enough to get you around 1.045 ish)
1oz Hallertauer @ 60 min - adjust for AA%. You want between 10-15 IBUs
Wyeast 3068 or white labs equivalent - yeast is the key to a good hefeweizen

ferment at 65 for 2 weeks, then bottle.

You are in luck. Hefeweizen couldn't be easier with extract.

Wheat extract (enough to get you around 1.045 ish)
1oz Hallertauer @ 60 min - adjust for AA%. You want between 10-15 IBUs
Wyeast 3068 or white labs equivalent - yeast is the key to a good hefeweizen

ferment at 65 for 2 weeks, then bottle.

Alright, so let's go dry extract. I think that would be about 5 lbs or so right?
I've never done a starter so I want to make sure I get it right.

Boil some water (not sure how much I should use) and let it cool, put in a few tablespoons of DME and the yeast. Let it sit for a full day and then pitch into carboy. Does this sound correct?

I've done a lot of extract hefeweizens.

My recipe is
3# extra light DME
3# wheat LME
.8oz hallertau (4%AA) at 60 min
wlp300 white labs hefeweizen yeast

I like to steep 0.5# flaked oats to add a little body, but that isn't necessary.

I add the DME at the beginning of the boil and add the LME with 10 min. to go to avoid scorching.

If you wanted to only do DME, I would use 6# instead of 5#.

I don't ever do a yeast starter with wheat beers. I prefer to keep the extra flavors that propagating yeast produce. If you go with a starter, a lot of those flavors will be left behind in the starter wort.

Personally, I'd stay with only wheat extract. Typically wheat extracts are a mix of Pils and wheat extracts at around 40/60%. Using any other extract will get you out of that percentage used in a typical Hefeweizen.

If you want to do a starter, just measure 1 liter of water and add 100g of DME. Thats around 4.25 cups of water to about 3.5 oz (by weight) of DME. Boil, cool, pour into a sanitized jug, then shake it every time you walk by.

Ok, I think I'll do all wheat DME so 6# and not do any starter at all because I do tend to like the ester flavors it gives off.

Back