Hefe starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPS

Reaction score
I'll be making my first HW soon and want to get my starter going.

The "wheat" extracts are a blend of wheat and barley. Is it OK to use the *regular* Munton's extra-light DME in my starter? I know that the yeast should be started on the same stuff going into your brew, and I wonder if this will be close enough. Thanks...

i use the extra light DME for all my starters. if your worried about off flavors/colors, then put the starter in the fridge when you start to brew so the yeast will settle out. when your ready to pitch, decant the liquid off the top of the cake, add some cooled wort of distilled water, swirl the starter, then add it to the wort. i pitch the whole thing.

how big of a starter did you make?

In most cases the wheat is already 55% wheat and 45% barley.

Some HW recipes are 50/50, some 60/40. I think it'll be alright.

What's the difference of an additional cup of barley?

Like Dave, all my starters are extra light DME.

The LME is 65% wheat/ 35% barley, the DME 55% wheat/45% barley. Good to know I can use the 100% barley DME for the starter.

I have been making quart size starters for my ales, so yeah, it'll be one extra cup of the DME. I've been going by volume, not weight.

DeRoux-- When is the best time to chill the starter?? I've read of doing this, but didn't know if it should be at high krausen or after it's "done". Thanks...

I decided to up my starter size to 3 pints this time. I ended up with about 3/8 cup of cake after chilling and decanting. The barley only DME seemed to work just fine -- the decanted "beer" had a great wheaty taste thanks to the yeast.

Back