Hefe In China WTF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boar Beer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK
So i stumble into a small and I mean small lounge (poker room with three tables) in down town Beijing and decide to order a beer. Look what i got! They had 6 different beers to chooes from this one and the rest Asian Piss water (BMC stuff)
Ok this is getting made ASAP. I am sure many of you guys have had a Hefe but this was my first (and second and third) but it just hit me as a great beer. Loads of flavor and the yeast must be something special. I'm all over HBT to find the recepie

Hefe.jpg

Hefewiesen's are a very easy and popular homebrew. They are easy extract-only beers too, if that is your deal.

The flavors you tasted in that weihenstephaner are from the yeast, so make sure to go with a proper yeast and you'll be successful. I've always used Wyeast 3068 (in fact, I'm getting a starter going today of that).

For a clone of that beer, you'll need to ferment in the 60's (65-68). Higher than that and it will be good, but you'll get more bananas.

Incidentally, I'll be in Beijing next month. Sure hope I can find something besides Tsingtao.

Thanks guys. I'll put up a small all grain batch using Wyeast 3068 or Weihenstephaner

Passedpawn
You could try to call this place talk to Charles 010 8563 9153
or 1355 253 2180 I just pop in and buy a bottle and take it with me.
good luck in china

Back