hefe help/wy3068 conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbx

Reaction score
I brewed a standard hefeweizen (50:50 pils:wheat) using wy3068 and fermented cold as per Jamil's recommendation (pitched at 15C). I kegged it after 10 days and its been in the fridge for 4 days. Today I pulled a sample and its got an eggy sulphur note that I'm not a fan of. What is the best way to get rid of that? Will it lager out in the fridge or should I store it warm and hope for some secondary fermentation? What are the chances of this being ready in 2 weeks?

I would think warm would be better, I'm not positive since I haven't dealt with that exact problem before, but I left my last hefe (same grain, yeast and ferm temp) for about 17 or 18 days (total from pitching) at ferm temps and it was perfect after a few days in the keg.

Ive never had a hefe yeast throw sulfur, did you boil the pils malt for 90 min? If its in the keg, you can repeatedly degas the keg with the pressure release valve, and then pump co2 in through the out line. The co2 will scrub some of the sulfur.

I had the same issue with a couple of heffe's and a weizenbock using wyeast 3068. The temrpature may have been the issue, or did you possibly under pitch?

Either way, it is fairly common to get sulfur from 3068. Just a quick goole and you will see multiple threads on the issue. The solution offered in all those threads is to give it time to clear. I know heffes should only take a week or so on the yeast but my experience has been that I have needed to wait a few weeks for the sulfur smell to clear. It does clear out.

I'm not sure if it will clear in a keg at serving temp though. I have no experience with that.

SWMBO has told me I am not allowed to use that yeast anymore. :(

I had the same issue with a couple of heffe's and a weizenbock using wyeast 3068. The temrpature may have been the issue, or did you possibly under pitch?

Either way, it is fairly common to get sulfur from 3068. Just a quick goole and you will see multiple threads on the issue. The solution offered in all those threads is to give it time to clear. I know heffes should only take a week or so on the yeast but my experience has been that I have needed to wait a few weeks for the sulfur smell to clear. It does clear out.

I'm not sure if it will clear in a keg at serving temp though. I have no experience with that.

SWMBO has told me I am not allowed to use that yeast anymore. :(

Thanks for the info and yeah, my wife isn't crazy about it either. I poured a pint tonight and it had an awesome bready malt and a perfect balance of banana and clove and egg farts. I have pulled it from the keggerator and popped open the valve to de gas for a week. I'm hoping it can clear by next Sunday when I need it for a party.

In my experience 3068 produces a fair amount of sulphur while in primary but disappears before bottling. I ferment warmer around 72 and leave it a full 14 days for the yeast to clean up. No egg farts after packaging... at least not from the beer

I poured a sample tonight after its been sitting warm de-gassing since last thursday and the egg farts are all gone. I even asked my wife to try it and said "this might be good some day but now it tastes like a homebrew sample" (meaning warm and flat). She is really sensitive to off flavours and odours and wouldn't even try it last week so I think thats a good sign. Thanks all!

Back