Heck of a time with bulk grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnickASaurusRex

Reaction score
I want to start buying bulk grain, but I am having a hard time finding any for a reasonable price. I understand that shipping is costly for internet providers. Midwest or AHS have the best going rates for bulk with shipping. The local places are charging a sh** ton for the stuff. I can get shipped cheaper then they will sell it to me.

There is one local place that sells specialties in 50 lb bags, but not base malt. He's on my sh** list now.

In the words of Homer Simpson.
"Jebus! Help me!"

I live in Kansas City by the way.

you checked out brewmasters warehouse? I don't have any experience buying bulk malts, but i think i've heard good things about buying from ed. He is a sponsor here, as well.

Yeah Brewmasters is the best for some stuff.

The more I dig into things the more I realize that it is going to be more economical to split my order up between several places.

As far as northcountrymalt goes, they have bad shipping quotes for me. It was a sad realization.

Do you have a local homebrew club? Our club has ordered pallets of grain from North Country - we were able to get shipping down to around $8 per bag. Saved a lot on Maris Otter, Pilsner, Vienna and Munich - not so much on 2-row - but it was still cheaper than the local outlets.

Check with the local homebrew clubs - many of them do bulk orders.

Have you tried to check with a local brewing bar/pub. I and some brew friends have alot of luck going this route.

This was going to be my next route of action. There are a couple of places I can look at. I wish I still lived out in Manhattan Kansas. No brew shops, but the local brew pub would let home brewers piggy back on there malt order from time to time. And they held the brew club meetings there. Oh well SWMBO and I have talked about moving back.

I got my first sack of 2-row from a brewery. I just happened to be going there to visit and mentioned that the LHBS's that sell bulk were a bit of a drive and he brought one out from the back for $40. About the same price as the good LHBS's I checked in to.

Also, if you can get in on a local group buy, you can do even better. Look for a club in your area.

Yes, try to find a local club or even go talk to a local microbrew. I have heard a lot of goof things from local microbrews helping people out as a lot of them started just like most of us. Here in C-bus a few months back, we got a group buy going through North Country and filled a whole pallet. I don't remember the exacts, but a 55lb bag only cost me like 2-3 bucks in shipping when it was all said and done. LHBS grain = $2.50/#, my cost through group buy was like .70-.72cc or so.

Back