Heavy Alcohol Smell from Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigB

Reaction score
So I brewed an AG APA about 2.5-3 weeks ago. OG 1.052 and after the Kreuzen had disappeared I checked the gravity and it was at roughly 1.013. I checked it two days later and it was the same. I was unsure if I should bottle it or transfer it to secondary so I transferred it hoping to get rid of most of the yeast and avoid getting it in the bottles. I closed the lid tightly on the bucket, but not to the point of being air tight, I think. I opened the lid a day or so later with the plan to just set the lid on the bucket loosely, again worrying I might mess this batch up. I couldn't resist smelling the beer and I found that it had a hot/alcohol smell to it. It's now been in the secondary for about 5 days and the smell is still there but not quite as strong.
Is this something I should worry about? I was quite careful with my sanitation, I cleaned the secondary bucket and used star-san to sanitize it...

Thanks in advance!

Racking to secondary is sometimes appropriate, but not when the secondary is a bucket. I'd bottle ASAP, and not use a bucket with a wide headspace for any sort of clearing vessel/secondary.

The heavy alcohol smell may be coming from a too-high fermentation temperature, and there are some contaminants that can produce a "rubbing alcohol" aroma, but I'd bottle it and see if that improves and get it out of the bucket.

The fermentation temp was a very stable 66-68 degrees the whole time....but I'll get it in a bottle asap...

You had 75% attenuation so it could be done fermenting and the hot alcohol smell might have been a whiff of CO2.

Finally got it bottled....I tasted what I took for a FG and it tastes good! As well the smell went away once it was in the bottle! Now the agonizing wait till I can taste it!

Back