Heat Blanket AND Chest Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperpots_Brewing

Reaction score
So, I was just thinking... Is it possible (or safe) to use an electric carboy heater from NB, and put it in my chest freezer with a Johnson controller?
The problem is my chest freezer is in the garage, and Cleveland winters can be brutal, so the chest freezer alone gets WAY too cold. Would putting a heating element in the freezer draw too much electricity dueling with the freezer? SWMBO likes the house around 72, which is teetering on high ferm temps in a closet...

Is the freezer a dedicated fermentation chamber?

If yes, then why would you have the cooling running if the winters are THAT cold?

If No, then I'd not bother. The energy draw may not be too much for the circuit but you'd be warming what ever food is in that freezer too (despite the "blanket" being wrapped around a bucket).

Yeah, it's dedicated to fermenting. I wasn't sure how the heating blankets worked. Do they have their own thermostat? I suppose if they do, then the freezer wouldn't need to be running. But it's just a simple 'on/off', then would it get too warm? Also, the temps range day by day here. Like 2 days ago it was 23 today it's 52. I suppose if it gets warm I could go out and turn it on, otherwise leave it off

If it's dedicated to fermenting just leave it unplugged in the winter or wire up a dual temp controller. I just finished the eBay aquarium temp controller build for around $50 and it works great! When the temp is too low it turns on the heater, and when it's too high it turns on the freezer.

Yeah, it's dedicated to fermenting. I wasn't sure how the heating blankets worked. Do they have their own thermostat? I suppose if they do, then the freezer wouldn't need to be running. But it's just a simple 'on/off', then would it get too warm? Also, the temps range day by day here. Like 2 days ago it was 23 today it's 52. I suppose if it gets warm I could go out and turn it on, otherwise leave it off

Doesn't the Johnson controller have a mode switch?

IIRC, it can be used for heating or cooling you just have to open it up and switch it to heating mode.

If yes, I'd leave the freezer unplugged and control the blanket with the analog.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Doesn't the Johnson controller have a mode switch?

IIRC, it can be used for heating or cooling you just have to open it up and switch it to heating mode.

If yes, I'd leave the freezer unplugged and control the blanket with the analog.

I don't see any noticeable switch. I took the cover off and don't see anything. The dial goes up to 80 but I'm assuming it would have to need a switch, otherwise it would be trying to cool to the desired temps?
Here's the pic of the inside of it... Any thoughts?

image-3796860357.jpg

dmbRedGetta said:
If it's dedicated to fermenting just leave it unplugged in the winter or wire up a dual temp controller. I just finished the eBay aquarium temp controller build for around $50 and it works great! When the temp is too low it turns on the heater, and when it's too high it turns on the freezer.

I don't think I've heard of that... Do you have a link to the build?

I don't see any noticeable switch. I took the cover off and don't see anything. The dial goes up to 80 but I'm assuming it would have to need a switch, otherwise it would be trying to cool to the desired temps?
Here's the pic of the inside of it... Any thoughts?

View attachment 44720

Whoops. Wrong controller ref. Editing.

I don't have any experience with those, so I can't help. Hopefully there's a way to reverse it so it switches on when it needs to heat. Good luck!

GilaMinumBeer said:
Having trouble locating the installation manual for this controller. Is it the Fe600?

The only numbers I see are: A19AAT-1 / J095 / E26
Not sure which is the model. I'll look on the HBS website I bought it from to see if they list it

Latest posts

Back