Heart surgery beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velnerj

Simul justus et potator
Reaction score
Hello homebrewing community!

Looks like I'm headed to the operating table for my 7th (not a typo) heart surgery.
Being a homebrewer I got to thinking... What brew would you make if you were going to have a major procedure like that? I'm not looking for recommendations just curious what you all would like to brew for yourself in case it was possibly your last brew. And then what would you brew to celebrate that you survived the whole ordeal?

Here's mine: before surgery - Rye IPA
After surgery when I survive - big Barley wine to celebrate life and longevity.

Don't forget to RDWHAHB!

First, good luck with your treatments. I've had three heart and two additional surgeries myself. To me, I would just want something to celebrate recovery with, and since there would be aging time available it would have to be either a big RIS or a barleywine with some bourbon and oak on it.

Hello homebrewing community!

Looks like I'm headed to the operating table for my 7th (not a typo) heart surgery.
Being a homebrewer I got to thinking... What brew would you make if you were going to have a major procedure like that? I'm not looking for recommendations just curious what you all would like to brew for yourself in case it was possibly your last brew. And then what would you brew to celebrate that you survived the whole ordeal?

Here's mine: before surgery - Rye IPA
After surgery when I survive - big Barley wine to celebrate life and longevity.

Don't forget to RDWHAHB!
Almost as important -- what beer would your SURGEON like?

I hope everthing goes well!

Pre-surgery: BA Imperial Stout, I think of it as a thick motor oil for the heart.
Post-surgery: Trappist style Belgian Quad, for that religious experience of hopefully making it through surgery.

Pre surgery
a big RIS or Barley wine....get them in bottles to enjoy on the anniversaries of your successful surgery.

Post surgery
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/miller-lite-really-triple-hopped.123937/
Thats got to be easier on the ticker than the big ole beers.

edited --- for a minute I misread OP's joining date for message posting date and thought I saw this as a 3 year old thread with no revist from OP. @Velnerj hope surgery goes really well and you get the issue fixed for good. Please come back and let us know how it went...and what you decided to brew and how it came out!

Brew up something before hand that tastes like a bud light - that way the surgery won’t feel so bad In comparison! Best of luck!

Wow, seven! Not to intrude, but is it CABG or valve replacement, those being the two most common? Used to work in a hospital surgery pharmacy and saw a lot of both. I wouldn't go for something light that is an easy drinker, tempting you to drink more; gotta keep the fluids down for blood pressure. A nice stout or barleywine, or even a strong; something to sip, not chug.

For those who may not know: CABG = coronary artery bypass graft

Wow, seven! Not to intrude, but is it CABG or valve replacement, those being the two most common? Used to work in a hospital surgery pharmacy and saw a lot of both. I wouldn't go for something light that is an easy drinker, tempting you to drink more; gotta keep the fluids down for blood pressure. A nice stout or barleywine, or even a strong; something to sip, not chug.

For those who may not know: CABG = coronary artery bypass graft
Just piping in here. No my condition is much more rare. I have pulmonary Artesia along with tetrology of fallot (you guys can Google those later if you're interested). Which is a condition I was born with. Essentially I've been living with one functional lung my whole life. Most of my surgeries were when I was a child my last one was nearly 22 years ago. Now that I'm older the parts they put in me (homograph) needs to be replaced.

Reality for me is that I brewed a Belgian wit a week ago and found out I'll be having surgery in a couple weeks. I'm not physically strong enough to brew now but thought I'd put the idea out there as an interesting thought experiment.

I've very much enjoyed reading g all the posts and I'll try to keep an update when I have them.

Thanks for the support.

You should always drink beer like it might be your last. By the sounds of it this stuff can't stop you, so plan out how you're going to enjoy that wine!

Anyways here's mine:

Pre: Dortmunder or Helles

Best of luck!
2 years ago, when I was going to have my heart surgery, I fermented a Wiener Lager, put it in my cool basement for lagering (it was in winter) and left. My stay in the hospital happened to be a longish one, like three months. Meanwhile, the lager mellowed and cleared nicely. I missed my beers in the hospital, alot.
The lager didn't come out the best brew I've ever made (I guess, because of temperature fluctuations, which I couldn't fix not being around). Still, what a pleasure was to taste it - being at home again and ALIVE!
And then I brewed a Fullers 1845.

This winter I celebrate the 2nd "anniversary" of my new aortic valve ticking by brewing fifteen lagers (in small 5L batches, 150 bottles total, almost all the gamut of Germanic traditional types).

Whatever you choose to brew now, I'm sure it will be extremely tasty when you're safely back at home!

Last edited:
Velnerj,

I see that you are from the Czech Republic.

I was in Trinec for work 15 years ago and I thought that I would never live to see the day that I would be in a town where there were no fast food restaurants and Trinec was a town of 40,000. It was an amazing experience since the restaurants were locally owned and the employees had a sense of pride which you would never see in a fast food restaurant.

The local Czech Pils beer was also very good, the only drawback was that it took about 10 minutes for the bartender to pour the beer. They would do the initial pour let, let the foam settle down, top it off, let the foam settle down again and give the beer a final top off. This was a craft in itself since the beer was filled to the line on the glass and the amount of foam was consistant, a true artform to pouring these beers. After realizing how long it takes to pour a beer, I quickly learned to order another beer when my glass got down to 2/3rds.

Looking forward to giving you a Prost after your surgery.:bigmug:

Good luck.

I think my pre surgery "beer" might be a good whiskey.
Post would be a good tripel (if my kids would stop draining the kegs.. seriously, how can 3 people go through 20l of 9% beer even if dad helps in just a few days?)

Prost!
Kevin

Oh wow, wish you all the best!

Pre surgery: saison lightly (!) dry-hopped with Cascade and Nelson Sauvin

Post surgery: the same saison, that had undergone a secondary brettanomyces fermentation in the meantime.

You are in my prayers for a rapid and full recovery. As for beer, whatever you like, man. I always like West Coastish IPAs, a little more malty IPAs, Pale Ales. Lately, a nice amber lager or a Dortmunder. An Irish Stout, or a Foreign Export Stout.

So I’m curious — please be honest — out of the guys posting here, how many of you have a cardiologist who recommended not drinking alcohol AT ALL?

So I’m curious — please be honest — out of the guys posting here, how many of you have a cardiologist who recommended not drinking alcohol AT ALL?
My cardiologist has never said such a thing. It might be though that my heart condition is not directly related to my diet as it is one I was born with.

That being said... I'm still in the hospital and I have had several beers already with blessing of the doctors and nurses. But that's the Czech Republic for you.

Dang dude, best of luck! (Looks like you made it through!)

I would go light and balanced pre and big and hoppy post! Maybe a Pilsner or Kolsch, then a DIPA or NEIPA.

Hey everyone, I've recovered enough to start brewing again! Last weekend I brewed up a Rye IPA. It's bubbling away in the fermenter and smells great.

It'll be ready just in time for my 40th birthday. I guess I have a lot to celebrate.

Cheers!

Great to hear that you've recovered and are already back to enjoying life! And I love rye, so I'm sure you'll be off to a great start!

Great thread. Glad I came across it and the OP is doing well. So here’s my thoughts after a few minutes of contemplating.

pre-surgery: Schieder Weiss clone. It’s been years since i had one after reading Michael Jackson’s anointing it worlds greatest beer. There was a bar in Manhattan, GingerMan, that had it in stock. The bar tenenders even knew to roll the bottles between their hands to get all that spicy yeast into the glass. I’ve been looking at clone recipes for years now but never pulling the trigger as it seems beyond my skills and hard to find yeast

post op. Sam Adam’s Boston Ale from extract (Not lager). It was the first beer I brewer 25+ years ago with my mentor BobK. I figure it fit me off to a good start so why not kick off another 25 years.

There was a bar in Manhattan, GingerMan, that had it in stock.
post op. Sam Adam’s Boston Ale from extract (Not lager). It was the first beer I brewer 25+ years ago with my mentor BobK. I figure it fit me off to a good start so why not kick off another 25 years.
I would not like scheider Weiss but have had many good beers in the Gingernan . It’s been years though

Congrats on the results of your recent procedure! You're a pretty robust dude, given that brewing isn't the easiest of hobbies (e.g. carting around full carboys, wrestling with kettles, buckets of spent grain, etc.) -- immediately following OHS!! Hoping this one takes care of things and provides many healthier decades to go.

Latest posts

Back