Health condition ABS, Auto-Brewery Syndrome....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
Saw this on FB, wife mentioned a different article a few months ago.

From what little I know about brewing and grade school health and science class, I wonder if it’s true?

Ultimate home brew! Bake a cake, bread or whatever with your grains, and portion them out. Sanitizer not needed, no mash no boil, no chill, no pitch...

Down side, not consuming fermentables all the time....

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-man-...yJwdp-9cJ6uX6Rq2cYusKMFJEfwU-CC_SgXHtglOZBAzg

Sorry if it’s a repeat... searched, no luck.

I've seen this story featured on a number of sites. There have been similar tales in the past but this one seems better documented than most. Taking everything at face value it seems legit - and a real pita...

Cheers!

Odd occurrences decades ago led to a brief suspicion that my Mom was suffering from this. No confirmation was forthcoming. In retrospect, it may have been an early manifestation of the Alzheimer's that finally took her, or of another neurological condition that was never diagnosed because it was obscured by the progressing Alzheimer's. I think it was quite forward thinking of a doctor to suspect this in her case; but I think I can agree that it is a very rare condition and that purported evidence thereof can probably most often be better explained otherwise.

auto brewery syndrome, sounds like a grainfather system......lol

but i did some story about a woman that blew a .40, and got out of a DUI for claiming it was that.....

Actually saw a story on one of the news programs like 20/20 but not sure it was that. It is a very real thing, the guy in the story was only able to get it under control by cutting carbs out of his diet if I remember correctly.

Without reading the article, sounds like the principal cause is a major disruption to the intestinal microflora (seemingly related to antibiotics), such that yeast take over and go to town on carbohydrates.

I'd be worried constantly about alcohol poisoning.

ABS also known as gut fermentation syndrome, is a rarely diagnosed medical condition in which the ingestion of carbohydrates results in endogenous alcohol production.

Patients with this condition become inebriated and suffer all the medical and social implications of alcoholism, including arrest for drunken driving.

Back