Headspace Corny Keg and Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Hello,
Quick question I am not sure if I have a co2 leak or if the lack of head space did this.

I've made a dubbel few months ago 11 galons of it and I didn't want to bottle it! So I primed it in the keg. I decided to tak one of the two corny kegs but to my surprise there was little carbonation. Tend to think that is due to lack of head space ( wrote on it "FULL" so I know there was very lttle heads space)

I swapped it with the second one, so I will find out in a day or so but was curious if I should wait few more weeks (after making some headspace) or should I re-prime it... ?!

Thanks!
Q

Keg head space is much less significant when doing a primed carbonation as the CO2 produced by the yeast is already "in" the beer - you're not trying to jam CO2 through the head space.

I would reserve judgement on "what happened" until the second keg is tested. If that one holds the expected level of carbonation I would suspect the first keg has a gas leak...

Cheers!

Either it did not ferment the priming sugar, which you can check for with your hydrometer, or it has a leak, which is very common with corny kegs unless you apply some pressure after closing the lid. If the latter is the case then the CO2 produced by priming simply escaped the keg without ever pressurizing it and without ever getting the lid to seal properly.

Back