Heading to El Paso TX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkseven

Reaction score
Leaving the cold and wet Pacific Northwest for the sunshine of beautiful El Paso, TX. I would likle to get the skinny on whats available as far as home brew supply stores. I have been doing some research and it doesn't look promising.

Leaving the cold and wet Pacific Northwest for the sunshine of beautiful El Paso, TX. I would likle to get the skinny on whats available as far as home brew supply stores. I have been doing some research and it doesn't look promising.

Hahaha, I'm in San Antonio and trying to get back up to Tacoma or Seattle.

I'll trade ya!!

As far as stores go you are screwed. There are only one or two more board members in EP. I am stationed at Bliss but currently deployed. There is a swimming pool store in Las Cruses in New Mexico that has supplies but they are a tad expensive.

Hey all....thanks for the feedback. Looks like the UPS guy and me are going to be good friends.

Frankfurtvr4 stay safe in the "stan" and come up on the net when you get home maybe we can enjoy a homebrew together.

Not really suprising...Juarez has way too many problems, but from friends that are down in El Paso, they say it really has no effect.

I lived there in 2004, and I really liked the vibe of the city. Just not a craft brew city...yet.

Not really suprising...Juarez has way too many problems, but from friends that are down in El Paso, they say it really has no effect.

I lived there in 2004, and I really liked the vibe of the city. Just not a craft brew city...yet.
It has an effect. Last time I drove from San Antonio home to Oregon through El Paso, border patrol was working on the US side. I was moving home, the car was packed with all my crap, and they're busy asking me if I had been in Mexico. Border Patrol need to be between Juarez and El Paso, not El Paso and Las Cruces, NM.

Yes I remember that stop its been there a while (its on I-10). I know that the crossing between El Paso and Juarez is covered with the BP. I always got the impression that the one in New Mexico was checking for illegal produce and goods coming into New Mexico. I might be wrong.

I am from Portland originally where I brewed a lot of home brew. Hope you like El Paso.

Their is a home brew store here in EP. It is off the Redd Rd exit from I-10 just in front of the Home Depot. I have not visited it yet but was planning to later today as it is very close to where I live. After I check it out I will give you an update.

Why? I have family in El Paso & Juarez (mother is from Juarez) I was last there in mid 90s and will never go back. Food is great but the city is just brown and dirty. Yes, its still that way as of sunday evening while talking to my family.

I didn't mind it back in the 70s while living there but damn, I can't think of any reason good enough to go back.

How's it going Hawkseven? I'm here in El Paso and I wasn't aware of any homebrew shops around here; just the one in Las Cruces, NM, but I haven't been to that place in a while. I hope Nortodan can shed some light on whether or not there is one on Redd Rd., but I live very close to that area and have never noticed anything, but I could be wrong. I have always had to order my supplies online.

Hey Hawkseven, I'm up in Las Cruces but I work with several people who live and brew in El Paso.

You already hit the nail on the head. You'll learn your UPS guy's name by heart, and might even get a Christmas card!

There's nothing in El Paso unless something opened up yesterday. The on here in Las Cruces is ok if you're in a pitch for something basic, but don't expect to be browsing over 5 minutes there.

I have to say though that although the LHBS might not be there homebrewing itself is still going strong and I know of a few brew clubs down there. Good luck man.

Nortodan, did you find the homebrew shop here? I went down in that area and asked around, a lot of people have 'heard' of a shop, or knew some guys that talk about it being around but no one knew where it was exactly. And where is the one in NM?

Also, any of you guys know where I could score some bottles free around here? I called a couple bars but no one is willing to give them away .. even though they throw them out :confused: one said something about TABC getting upset about doing that :rolleyes:

I'd go order some online but money's a bit tight for the holidays, and It's coming on three weeks in my fermenter for my stout.

Take ramp onto I-10 W - go 39.062.7 mikm
Take exit #144/LAS CRUCES/ALBUQUERQUE onto I-25 N - go 4.06.4 mikm
Take exit #3/LOHMAN AVENUE - go 0.30.5 mikm
Turn Right on E LOHMAN AVE - go 1.01.6 mikm
Turn Left on N ROADRUNNER PKY - go 0.20.3 mikm
Make a U-Turn at FOOTHILLS RD onto N ROADRUNNER PKY - go 0.10.2 mikm
Arrive at 111 S ROADRUNNER PKY, LAS CRUCES, on the Right

Thanks for the directions! Which side of the city are you on? I'm on the NE side, on Hercules just off Dyer

I also just moved from the PNW to the El Paso area. I am missing the grocery store beer selection... which means it's time to dust off the home brew gear.

Googling shows the only homebrew shop, which may or may not still be open, is Mount Franklin Homebrew. That's just off the Redd Rd exit from I-10, so I assume it's the one in question:

[ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=300+N.+Resler+Ste.+B&sll=31.75872,-106.486931&sspn=0.310016,0.624161&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=300+N+Resler+Dr,+El+Paso,+Texas+79912&ll=31.841837,-106.548328&spn=0.077434,0.15604&z=13[/ame]

I won't be able to get out there for a couple of weeks, but if anyone manages to check it out in the meantime, would you report back?

I checked out the place I thought was a home brew store but it is now a liquor store. Looks like it's mail order for supplies.

Hey all thanks for the continuing info on Brew stores in El Paso. Just got into El Paso a few days ago but already have an order ready to drop to BMW. Did some more google searching and found what looks like a good place in Albuquerque NM heres the link;

http://www.beer-brewing-wine-making.com/store/home.php?cat=250[/URL]

Looks like they have all their grain at $1.79 per pound, and also have other goodies in stock. I figure a trip to them every few months might be a great weekend adventure, SWMBO can go to Whole Foods and I can buy brew supplies AND probably hit some local brew pubs and eateries. Its a win/win situation.

OFF TOPIC....Is anyone brewing in the El Paso area doing any tinkering with their tap water when brewing or have a current water report?

The store Frankfurtvr4 described is Coyote Homebrew,

its actually a pool store, but the owner is a brewer and has brew supplies in the back.

Its not a huge selection, but basic needs stuff is there as well as kits and grain. Some specialty grains, kegging equipment, Carboys. Wine making kits/supplies too.

His kits are all Brewers best kits as far as I could see.

Sadly Mount Franklin homebrew doesn't exist anymore.

Honestly I don't imagine there's a whole lot. There's been 3 home brew shops that I can pull up on google that no longer exist.

The problems are multiple, wages are lower here, things cost more to ship, and having been here for over a year, searching high and low the only people I have found that like beer other than tecate/corona/4lokos ect ect are people that didn't come from, or grow up here.

hell, you're lucky to find sam adam's on tap/bottles in 90% of bars here, much less guiness, or even people that know what it is.

There was/is also a couple guys that have tried to start a homebrew club here and it just never took, so likely an indicator as to how many brewers there are.

Not saying I'm opposed to the idea of a club/guild, or even a homebrew shop here, just don't think there's enough folk into it. :(

maybe we can help the guys out and start a movement here! :rockin:

Hey fellas,

Is anyone going to be doing any all grain in March? I will be on mid-tour and would like to watch someone do a batch before I jump in with both feet.

Hey, recently heard about a western beverages opening with over 100 different craft beers. Looks like the movement is growing here, perhaps a good time for a homebrew shop or at least a guild/group whatever.

Las Cruces here. Coyote (the pool store) is a pretty decent shop, even with the limited quantity. However, if you are looking for equipment here, Craigslist is your friend. NMSU has a brewing class out of their Chemical Engineering department and at semesters end you can pick up stuff for pretty cheap. Not anything all that fancy, but you can get plenty of carboys to expand.
Also get in good with the local brew clubs, they do bulk grain orders periodically and it really helps with costs. People tend to go in with friends on large hops orders too. We have a good group of people here who are willing to help out if you need anything, so don't hesitate to ask.

I moved from Las Cruces up here to Rochester, MN :) buying a kit from Midwest Supplies and bring it to Las Cruces to father in law for Christmas, he just can't get ANYTHING really down there.

I WISH oh I WISH I had more room, I'd bring some stuff for everyone down there :)

Love having Midwest Supplies and Northern Brewer about an hour & 1/2 away.

Anyways, I will look around downthere, father in law has been brewing with a buddy who's very much into it, he will probably have some good ideas as to where you can get stuff from, I will ask around.

not sure it matter anymore, being that this last post is about a year old ...

CHEERS :mug:

Jakob

I had to revive this old thread for those of us living in El Paso. Just wanted to let you guys know there is now a home brew shop here in town. Its on the westside by UTEP on Mesa and is called Primo's Craft Beer. I stopped by after work this afternoon, and while its not a huge selection, it could come in handy if you need something in a hurry. They have grains, hops, yeast, and some selection of equipment.

I work there, and am ordering everything for the home brew shop side of the store. Please let me know if there is anything in particular you would like to see. Also if you want anything in particular let us know we are going to have calendar showing our order dates. So if you want anything we do not have in stock we can special order it.

I have not been there, will have to check it out! Reliance Outdoor supply on the west side has great prices and they will order pretty much anything you want from their supplier!

Wow, it is good to know about that place. I travel frequently to El Paso and sometimes it is better just to pick up things I need instead of having to order everything online.

Looks like I'll be moving to El Paso shortly and am also trying to find brew stores. Currently live near Newport News and the places here are also slim, but adequate. Would be nice to have places I got spoiled on while living near Olympia, WA.
If anyone has recent knowledge on what's open, I'd like to hear current input.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back