Heading on a European cruise next week...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaBass512

Reaction score
...and plan on hitting bars/pubs in every port we go to. We are sailing from Rome, and going to Naples, Venice, Athens, Santorini, Croatia and Turkey (don't have the port names right now, or the time to look them up.) Anybody have any suggestions as to what to look for? I'm hoping for some brews that are as local as possible.

Or, while I'm at it, any brewing ingredients not readily available stateside? Maybe a strain of hop or something?

You may find some interesting beer, but my exp in this part of the world is that they enjoy light lagers instead of Ales (which I prefer). I am sure you could find some great beer from the British Isles, but not real local stuff on the Med.

However if you happen to like wine you are really in for a treat. Italian reds, Bulgarian reds,..... I think you may find one guy here from Croatia and he might have some ideas, but if you like Ales and the like you can pass on Bulgaria and Turkey.... Italians focus on wine too...

Have a great trip

In Croatia, try Velebitsko Pivo if you can find it. ALL of the Croatian beers are industrial lagers, light and dark, but that one is made by a craft brewer and has a bit more flavor. They have light and dark. Also, more widely available, is Tomislav. It's a dark lager, over 7% alcohol and has a lot of flavor. It's made by a big brewer and is widely available.

As for wine, you can ask at whatever restaurant you're at and they can recommend a good one. There are a TON of great wines here, both white and red. This is much more wine country than beer country. I suppose lots of people will recommend rakija, but it's just crappy liquor and nothing special in my opinion. My guess is you'll be hitting Dubrovnik in Croatia. You should have fun. Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice! I knew there wouldn't be a huge variety or selection, as it is wine country (countries?) but was hoping there'd be something local I could enjoy. And yes, we will be stopping in Dubrovnik. I will write down your suggestions, Matt, thanks. I'm not a wine connoisseur by any means (like my brother-in-law) but can enjoy a good glass from time to time. Maybe this will be the trip that I learn to appreciate it more?

Either way, can't wait to get back in town and brew my next batch.

Thanks for the advice! I knew there wouldn't be a huge variety or selection, as it is wine country (countries?) but was hoping there'd be something local I could enjoy. And yes, we will be stopping in Dubrovnik. I will write down your suggestions, Matt, thanks. I'm not a wine connoisseur by any means (like my brother-in-law) but can enjoy a good glass from time to time. Maybe this will be the trip that I learn to appreciate it more?

Either way, can't wait to get back in town and brew my next batch.

Enjoy your trip!

if you have time in rome, go to Ma Che Siete Venuti a Fà (rated best beer bar in the world)
http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBes...Best+Beer+Bars+2010&file=bars_places_2010.csv

right across the street is Bir e Fud which has good local ipas etc and other beers. We went there earlier this year. I couldnt stay out of those two bars. You want to stay in that neighborhood if you are staying in rome in my opinion.

Thanks, lowlife, we are staying in Rome 2 days before the ship leaves. Not sure where we are staying exactly, the sis-in-law set everything up, but I'll see if they are close. "Best beer bar in the world" sounds pretty damn good to me!

Rome is small enough that you can take a bus anywhere fairly quickly. Remember, they will let you try anything on tap for free.

Back