Head space when bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior

Reaction score
I used to keg most my beers when I was brewing 8 years ago. I now bottle condition my beers and noticed that if I leave about 1 1/2 in of headspace my beers seem to carbonate faster. I have a habit of trying to only leave about 1/2 to 1 in of headspace. These bottles seem to carbonate slower. Has anyone else noticed this condition?

Warrior

Yes, but that did not bother me. I usually left 3/4"-1" headspace, and I liked the quality of carbonation better. It seemed smoother. I did not mind the wait.

TL

I left about 1-1.5" on my last IPA, Its conditioning slower that any other beer that I have done but the carbonation is different and better as far as I am concerned. the bubbles are smaller and the beer is crisper..I did a stout and left almost the whole neck empty. it carbed real fast. I was worried about exploding bottles. it only had one week in primary. those bubbles where larger. not as crisp but smoother..just right for a stout:)

can anyone offer a scientific explanation for this?how why this works? i'm trying to manipulate carbonation in bottles and this interests me.

Latest posts

Back