Head Retention Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdog

Reaction score
I have been kegging my beers for a while now and had great results. The beer comes out of the tap full of carbonation and a great head. I recently bought a counterpressure bottle filler and started filling bottles from my keg. The problem is head retention in the bottles. They dont have as much carbonation and the head is weak. What am i doing wrong? Why would the head and carbonation from the keg be good but not in the bottle?

:tank:

You lose a tad bit in the head space. Co2 wants to come out of suspension and equalize in the head space and the beer. I would just up the volumes .2-.3 above what you have it set for now and then fill. The same happens with filling a growler for me, and that is almost no head space.

Plus, you'll lose a bit of carbonation from the beer as it goes through the bottling gun, with turbulence and such. So I agree, bump the co2 up in the beer when you bottle it.

Latest posts

Back