Head count of active homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1980 I bought a cheap kit with a 2 gal kettle, a bucket fermenter and airlock, and 2 cans of hopped extract with packets of dry yeast taped to the tops. Brewed both. The first was some kind of pale ale and the other a stout. I don't recall even considering sanitation or temp control. IIRC, it was just heat up some tap water on the stove, add extract, boil, set kettle in a sink full of ice to cool a little, dump into the bucket, top off with tap water, pitch yeast. For bottling I just dumped a tsp or so of table sugar into each bottle, then poured beer directly from the fermenter through a funnel into the bottles and capped. The beers turned out OK, drinkable. My roommates and I didn't seem to care. I overcarbed both brews--amazing I didn't have bottle bombs, though the 2 cases of long necks I bought then were probably a lot more robust than the ones you get today.

That was the end of my first foray into homebrewing. I gave away the kit and didn't brew again until 2012, when I bought better gear and ingredients. Brewed a half dozen or so extract batches from kits, then switched to BIAB. The pastime stuck on me that time--been brewing regularly since then.

I grew up around homebrewing and moonshinning. I remember my dad and his brothers making homebrew that was horrible back in the 60s. I first tried brewing in the late 80s using grocery store LME. Wasn't very good as I had little guidelines and equipment. My job transferred me from FL to IL in 92 and there I found Berghoff Brew Pub and fell in love with fresh craft beer. It was there that I met the members of the Chicago Beer Society and I have been brewing ever since. Due to career relocations I too had a few years that I didn't brew until I could get reset and find HBSs. Now I brew what I want to drink. I still enjoy visiting breweries and brew pubs. I enjoy sampling their products and talking beer with their staff. But I review my old brew logs and brew old favorites often. Of course my equipment has evolved from a propane cooker to an all electric HERMS system. I enjoy the brew days and don't expect to change until my son takes over the brewing responsibilities when I'm no longer able to do it myself.

Last edited:
Started in 08 at the rope of age of 19. The thing of it was, there was a wine making supply store in my neighborhood as a kid and I always thought that was cool. I grew up working in family kitchens and was always cooking with wine, so my thinking was, one more thing to make in house, because who does that?

Cut to my teens and I kept seeing Mr. Beer kits. By that point, the owner of the place I worked set up a "Kitchen Staff Beer Tips" jar, so the kitchen staff would split a pitcher of Molson in the back after we closed. That's where I developed a love for beer. That and my grandpa used to slip me a PBR or Milwaukee Beast NA (good memories, but wow).

Figured, I like the stuff enough, always thought the winemaking would be cool, they sell these Mr. Beer kits at Sears, let's do it.

Kinda turned into my "Boat", I like to say

I know a number of people who express interest in brewing but don't do it. Many of these prospective homebrewers just need a kick to get going. A loved one bought me a kit. That's what I needed to get started. I may never have otherwise. If we all invited a friend to brew, or gifted someone a kit, that would be a big deal for our community numbers.

It's a complicated hobby, and may not appear approachable to people who don't know how much they may enjoy it. There's the initial investment in time and money without any guarantees.

A prohibition, the lack of variety in the 80s, a pandemic lockdown -- these things are not required to spur a brand new breakthrough this year.

Last edited:
I've watched AHA speculate about what drives the homebrewing market for several years and the biggest correlation they could make is that homebrewing is pretty much directly inverse of the employment rate. When people are employed, they don't mind spending their money on local craft beer. When they are unemployed, they don't mind spending their "vast" spare time watching a pot boil.
I think there is more to rise and fall of hobbies than employment.
Have you ever been to a social situation where no one has their phone out?
Everyone is absolutely glued to cell phones, being entertained by what's on them and interacting with others.
Brewing is a somewhat nerdy activity that requires a great attention to detail to do properly.
I've noticed that lack of attention to details is more the norm these days.
Whatever is easier is the way most people want to go.

COVID might have affected homebrewing in a couple of ways:
-- local HB clubs stopped meeting in person and went online; less rewarding and no opportunity to swap beers
-- in-person gatherings of family and friends were curtailed for a while, also providing less opportunity to share our brews

Just conjecture, like most of this thread, but an enjoyable read nonetheless. Cheers!

It takes time to go from grain to glass. That lack of instant gratification might be what keeps some people from getting into the hobby. It doesn't affect those of us already in the hobby, as we have accepted this.

When I share a hb with someone, they seem interested and ask about the process. Quite often, they are surprised to learn that, no, the beer's not ready to drink on brew day. I tell them about fermentation, aging, etc. Then the response is like, "I couldn't stand to wait that long..."

I only recently started brewing, December 2019 I believe was when I boiled my first one, from a kit someone had bought me the year before as a gift. I'd been a fan of craft beers from a visit to Seattle back in my 20's and had a few friends that brewed inconsistently, but it always seemed like something that was going to take too much time to learn and to do well. A combination of factors, someone gifting me a kit (including the beginner equipment I needed), a change in employment that eventually ended in an early retirement, and to a small extent, the time allowed during the Covid shutdowns all helped me get into the hobby and as importantly to keep going.

I did not get into it earlier because I knew it was going to take an investment of time and focus that I could not devote to it when I was working. I think that requirement may be a big barrier to entry for many people.

Brewing is a craft, as much art as science, and as such it is not something you just pick up and do exceptionally well from the start. That does not mean you can't make some nice brews, but to start getting those "oh man this is really good" beers you have to invest some time learning the details and getting the feel of the process points. If you are a lover of good beer then you know you are going to have to make a commitment of time and focus to get the end result you are looking for. It's great fun, but only for the willing.

The number of people willing to make that sort of time commitment to any craft is always going to be a relatively small percentage of the population. Maybe even smaller when access to whatever the product is, is available elsewhere so fast and easy.

Hmmm, maybe the availability of good beer is a deterrent to homebrewing...

It takes time to go from grain to glass. That lack of instant gratification might be what keeps some people from getting into the hobby. It doesn't affect those of us already in the hobby, as we have accepted this.

When I share a hb with someone, they seem interested and ask about the process. Quite often, they are surprised to learn that, no, the beer's not ready to drink on brew day. I tell them about fermentation, aging, etc. Then the response is like, "I couldn't stand to wait that long..."
True enough. The willingness to defer gratification for weeks or months is increasingly rare these days.

I only recently started brewing, December 2019 I believe was when I boiled my first one, from a kit someone had bought me the year before as a gift. I'd been a fan of craft beers from a visit to Seattle back in my 20's and had a few friends that brewed inconsistently, but it always seemed like something that was going to take too much time to learn and to do well. A combination of factors, someone gifting me a kit (including the beginner equipment I needed), a change in employment that eventually ended in an early retirement, and to a small extent, the time allowed during the Covid shutdowns all helped me get into the hobby and as importantly to keep going.

I did not get into it earlier because I knew it was going to take an investment of time and focus that I could not devote to it when I was working. I think that requirement may be a big barrier to entry for many people.

Brewing is a craft, as much art as science, and as such it is not something you just pick up and do exceptionally well from the start. That does not mean you can't make some nice brews, but to start getting those "oh man this is really good" beers you have to invest some time learning the details and getting the feel of the process points. If you are a lover of good beer then you know you are going to have to make a commitment of time and focus to get the end result you are looking for. It's great fun, but only for the willing.

The number of people willing to make that sort of time commitment to any craft is always going to be a relatively small percentage of the population. Maybe even smaller when access to whatever the product is, is available elsewhere so fast and easy.

Hmmm, maybe the availability of good beer is a deterrent to homebrewing...
I've brewed 2 batches so far. Neither of them tasted like the craft beers I enjoy at brew pubs or even store-bought, but I will say the second tasted better than the first, so that's encouraging. And I'm also changing my expectations -- if I like the taste, who cares what it does or doesn't resemble? I can celebrate the fact that I created it, and that means something. (And the guys at my poker game say they like it, whether they mean it or not . . . ) ;)

|
if I like the taste, who cares what it does or doesn't resemble?

This is very true, but there are certain flavors and taste elements that I want in my brews. It's taken a while, but I've started getting some of those results that I can just sit and savor for long while. To get there I had to learn about fermentation temps, a little about water and pH (much room for improvement here), pitching rates, hopping, mitigating oxidation... So many little things that I have improved since my first batches and will likely keep improving over the years.

I suppose I'm lucky, I have not yet made a beer I didn't like..., but I have made some that I didn't love and by brewing some of those likes 3 or 4 times, and tweaking the processes, methods, and ingredients I've turned them into loves.

That to me, is a big part of the fun of homebrewing

|

This is very true, but there are certain flavors and taste elements that I want in my brews. It's taken a while, but I've started getting some of those results that I can just sit and savor for long while. To get there I had to learn about fermentation temps, a little about water and pH (much room for improvement here), pitching rates, hopping, mitigating oxidation... So many little things that I have improved since my first batches and will likely keep improving over the years.

I suppose I'm lucky, I have not yet made a beer I didn't like..., but I have made some that I didn't love and by brewing some of those likes 3 or 4 times, and tweaking the processes, methods, and ingredients I've turned them into loves.

That to me, is a big part of the fun of homebrewing
I’m close to 15 brews in and the only one I haven’t really liked was the one I had the most hope for, a triple and I probably made my most mistakes there. I can drink it but it’s not a joy. It’s five months old I think and still tastes like someone threw a shot of vodka in it

COVID might have affected homebrewing in a couple of ways:
-- local HB clubs stopped meeting in person and went online; less rewarding and no opportunity to swap beers

I organized a weekly Zoom meeting for my homebrew club at the start of the pandemic and we are still doing it every Thursday night. A great way to wind down the week with friends and not have to drive home after.

And we had quite a few beer swaps during the pandemic. We’d all meet in a parking lot, swap beers and disperse quickly and then drink them together on the Zoom. Honestly it was one of the things that kept me brewing and kept me sane.

There is some new brewers here also. I think i started maybe 3 or 4 years ago. I didnt get a kit or DME, i went straight in to all grain against what everyone was telling me, so glad i did that. but im only about 50=60 brews in and i still feel like im learning every time i brew.

My wife bought me my initial brewing kit in 1981. I've been at it ever since at various levels of intensity - more than ever in recent years. I joined and then left AHA. After moving to Portland in 1989 I attended one brew club meeting but didn't join. I'm grateful for the vibrant LHBS scene here, and get most of my ingredients at two favorite stores though I buy most equipment on line.

Large trends like those @Bobby_M reported don't influence my own choices. But I certainly understand how LHBS closures (and openings!) could relate to the popularity of homebrewing, with the causal arrow running both ways.

I have noticed in Canada homebrew stores are closing shop. This has been going on in the US for a few years now. I brewed way more during covid than I ever did. Nothing else to do, no where to go. Maybe it is the cost of equipment and ingredients that is the cause of it. Shipping is very expensive here in Canada. Like double what it used to be. I can drive 90 minutes to the closest homebrew store and drive home way cheaper than what they charge for shipping. Times have definitely changed. Started in 1979.

I joined a local club as soon as I started brewing again. They’ve been around since 1997. At their peak there were about 40 active members. We’re down to less than 10 showing up to every meeting.
Ah that sucks. Here in south Jersey I’ve only been going to meetings the last 3 months but it seems like 30-50 people easily. Lots of brews to taste and get advice on

I started in 15 or 16. Got started in the hobby by another brewer. He has gone pro and no longer brews at home.
After the first few years of learning and trying new things i pretty much stick to the same 5 or 6 recipies each year, and maybe try 1 new recipie or style each year.
When i started had 3 LHBS.
Now down to just one.

A watched pot never boils. An unwatched pot boils over…
Schroedinger's Brew Pot.

My journey started back in the '90's with a Mr. Beer 6-gallon tank kit received as a father's day gift. Came with hopped LME, yeast and 6 PET bottles. Got a conical for Christmas one year, so I sold the Mr. Beer fermenter. After a job change and couple of moves, we finally unpacked all the beer stuff, and I was going to crank up the conical again when I spied another 6-gallon Mr Beer tank at a church charity sale.

Naturally, I bought it and still use it for about 5 batches a year. But I've graduated to BIAB, a 44-quart brewpot, and mixed 22- and 12-oz bottle sessions. I'm blessed with two LHBSs, so I generally can find what I'm looking for.

I walk the talk on buying local -- I'll only mail order if I can't find it here in town.

Last edited:
In answer to the thread title.
One head only on this active homebrewer.
Same here... this is me before homebrewing:
Beeblebrox.jpg

..And (a picture with my mentor..I'm the one on the left) After becoming a Homebrewer;
ShrunkenHeadPrice.jpg

Schroedinger's Brew Pot.
Marvellously put! Can I borrow the name for my own?

Another aspect is to look at used gear prices now vs in the past. I have been brewing since 08 and enjoy looking online, craigslist and now facebook, at used stuff for sale. It used to be that homebrew equipment held resale value. Now it is hard to give it away. Many people quit brewing and want the space that their gear takes. Hopefully the hobby comes back, so we have ingredient suppliers, equipment manufacturers, and places to buy both from.

I have been brewing since 08 and enjoy looking online, craigslist and now facebook, at used stuff for sale. It used to be that homebrew equipment held resale value. Now it is hard to give it away
Really? Most of what I see on Craigslist is people claiming that their rusty old crap is "like new" and wanting 90% of retail for it. Of course, that doesn't mean they're getting it.

Another aspect is to look at used gear prices now vs in the past. I have been brewing since 08 and enjoy looking online, craigslist and now facebook, at used stuff for sale. It used to be that homebrew equipment held resale value. Now it is hard to give it away. Many people quit brewing and want the space that their gear takes. Hopefully the hobby comes back, so we have ingredient suppliers, equipment manufacturers, and places to buy both from.
I think some people (myself included) might be switching from bulky three tier systems to all in one electric systems and are happy to give stuff away just to get it out of the house.

Yep, my 3 tier in the picture has been replaced with an Anvil 10.5 and I love it.
I never got to brew on one. I went from a single vessel biab to a Brewzilla 35l. Wouldn't mind going through a brew day on one just to see what it's like, but I wouldn't want to deal with the logistics of having it in my house. AiO is so convenient

If anyone's interested in homebrewing popularity, The graph below is a barometer of that. This graph only has 30 points, so with more data it'll smooth out a lot. I might add some more data later.
  • To make the graph, I got the forum member count at various times and plotted the derivative of that series. That is, the rate of change of the enrollment indicates the change in popularity.
  • I got each datapoint by looking at a bunch of random member join dates and their member number. The member numbers are sequential and are equivalent with member count (I think).
  • The large peak circa 2022 might have been due to talkbeer.com and HBT-Brazil membership being combined with HBT US at the end of that year.

1685646967155.png

Based solely on my local homebrew club over the last 12 years, we saw a sharp decline with COVID but membership has been increasing rapidly over the last year. Activity is near a record high. When I first started, we were happy to take 2-4 beer to a brewfest but now take 10-16. I have also noticed over the last year that more of the people at beerfests have homebrewing experience. I'll see if the club keeps records of paid memberships and report back.

I got hooked on homebrewing through a book. But I have to say it was the second book that hooked me in.

Mind you I'm not an avid reader by no means. I'll do 2-3 books a year tops. One birthday my wife gave me a book on homebrewing. She knew I liked beer and I liked to cook so she was encouraging me to try it out...

I flipped through the book and was pretty much turned off immediately. The first section of the book was all about cleaning and sanitation and how if not done very well you could end up with a terrible concoction that would need to poured down the drain.

I am not a neat freak so I immediately assumed this hobby was not for me. I would be one of those losers pouring a months worth of work down my bathtub drain. No thanks.

A few years later a friend of mine gives me another book on brewing. It was pretty old and outdated. But nonetheless the author had a passion for brewing (and writing) that was instantly contagious. I couldn't put the book down, and I kept thinking, hey I could do this. Which soon turned into I WILL do this!

The book? The big book of brewing by David Line. This book was published in 1974. I was reading it in 2015!

I am not sure I would recommend this book to too many people, but I would say that there is a need for a modern book that has this sort of enthusiasm. I have since read Palmers book, Charlie's book, Ray Daniel's book etc. All are great in their own way, but to me none of them had the excitement that line's book had... I certainly haven't read all the books out there so perhaps there is a modern book on the shelves that could be used to hook new brewers?

Back