Hazy IPA vs NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBurgles

Reaction score
I know this is a contentious enough topic already, but I just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else feels the way I do. I think you can also make a distinction between a Hazy IPA and a NEIPA. This thought stemmed from the draft list at my local brew pub. The offer both a Hazy and A NE IPA. I think you can have a hazy IPA but not classify it as a NEIPA. You have examples like A Terrible Idea the 21A and Fieldwork collab, that still has a firm bitterness and has the hop character of a new age hopped IPA. It has a slight haze similar to that of a here and has a slightly smoother mouthfeel. Where as a lot of the NEIPAs look like orange juice, has little to no bitterness, and a creamy mouthfeel. I could be way off base but it’s how I feel about it. While saying I don’t think all hazy’s fall into the NEIPA, I also wouldn’t classify them with traditional IPAs. Maybe more in the specialty as you’d see a rye or black ipa.

Back