Having trouble etching my kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vance

Reaction score
I'm trying to do the vinegar kettle etching and not having any luck... Any tips? I have 1/4 tsp table salt in 1/4 cup of 5% white vinegar. I have the positive lead taped to the kettle and the negative running to my q tip. It sizzles a tiny bit, but not enough to leave a permanent mark. Any ideas?

Bump up the amount of salt. I had the same issue and finally got it working when I got the salt ratio right. I can't remember how much I used but it was a lot more than 1/4 tsp to 1/4 cup water.

I used a 9v DC wall wart with 1.2a and worked for me but found that the lead attached to the kettle should be as close to the working areas also.

As TravelingLight remarked use a little more salt as well

I used a 9v DC wall wart with 1.2a and worked for me but found that the lead attached to the kettle should be as close to the working areas also.

As TravelingLight remarked use a little more salt as well
Ahh yes. I also started with a 9V battery but switched to a wall wart. That made a huge difference as well.

Back