Having issue with converted kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtk78

I'm here for the beer!
Reaction score
I converted a side by side refrigerator to a kegerator. Holes were cut in the interior wall to allow consistent temperature throughout entire space.

Here's my original build thread for added information:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/my-side-by-side-to-kegerator-conversion.645189/

It's worked great up until last weekend when I noticed a commercial beer was warmer than I thought it should be when I took it out. I looked up and noticed the Inkbird reading about 50F. I thought maybe the fridge door hasn't shut all the way. I made sure the doors were closed and started to monitor. The temperature went down to about 39, then up to the low 40's. I have it set at 39F, so it's been running a few days. I also noticed there is a layer of ice on the back wall in the freezer.

Today I pulled it out, took a small back panel off and tried to blow the coils off. They hide them pretty well, but I blew them from the back, side, and front of the refrigerator.

The ice is still on the back wall. Anything else I should be checking? I really hope this thing is not dying, because another appliance is not in my immediate future. Thank you.

Ice buildup around the evaporator will majorly affect performance.
If you were right about the door not being closed then you may be OK, you just need to thaw out the ice.
But, don't do that mechanically - bad juju, something bad is bound to happen and then it's Game Ovah.
Shutting it off and leaving the door open is the absolute safe way to go, but at only slightly higher risk you could shut if off and play a hair drier on the ice to speed things up...

Cheers!

Ice buildup around the evaporator will majorly affect performance.
If you were right about the door not being closed then you may be OK, you just need to thaw out the ice.
But, don't do that mechanically - bad juju, something bad is bound to happen and then it's Game Ovah.
Shutting it off and leaving the door open is the absolute safe way to go, but at only slightly higher risk you could shut if off and play a hair drier on the ice to speed things up...

Cheers!

Thanks @day_trippr. I will leave the door open and let it thaw naturally. I'm not taking any chances with this thing right now. Don't want to loose my kegerator!

Success! Seems to be running normal again. That........was a close one.

Excellent.

I have experienced that sinking feeling when you're nearly convinced your kegerator is on its way out. No bueno...

Cheers!

Back