Have you ever swirled a yeast starter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawnboy881

Reaction score
To pour it into your primary fermenter. And it foamed out of the flask?????

Bc that happened to me and I'm wondering if I can chalk it up to the stopper still being on, or and infection????

I guess we'll see as I poured it anyhow.

Any thoughts/experiences/opinions?

Yes! This happened to me once when I did not use a stir plate. One of the byproducts of yeast doing their business is CO2, carbon dioxide. When you swirl it up all that CO2 gets agitated, much like when you shake up a carbonated beer and it erupts. You should fine. I seriously doubt it is an infections.

No stir plate, but I had swirled it say 10 or so times since I made it. Had not swirled it since last night and was merely swirling it to get it back into suspension to easily decant to primary.

Hoping against infection! Thanks

If the stopper was tight, that's the culprit. I just use a sanitized piece of foil so O2 can get in.

By the way, I did smell it and it smelled fine. That's why I poured it. And yes the stopper was firmly in place.

My gut said I was fine, but glad I asked so my mind would be at ease

It is just the CO2 coming out. At the height of activity, I've had half gallon starters in gallon jugs spray beer out the top of the airlock when swirled. Well, just one ..... it painted the ceiling ...... I learned my lesson to gently swirl or the wife will be upset .... again!

Don't use a stopper or an airlock when making starters. The object is to get the yeast cell count to increase. To do this they need oxygen. Use a piece of sanitized foil over the top or an open cell foam stopper.

Even with open cell foam stopper this will happen if you shake it hard after it has sat for a while. If you start shaking gently it will release enough CO2 through the foam to then shake it hard.

Back