Have You Ever Considered...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just today I was 80 minutes into a 90 minute boil that seemed to be pretty tame. I have been using a fan to keep down the possibility of a boilover, didn't think to realize it was working, pulled the fan to put it away and came back to a boilover a doused flame. You think I would learn.

I would agree with this in my last apartment. That gas stovetop cranked! The one in our new (to us) house just barely gets 5 gallons to a boil. I strattle the pot between 2 burners to get her up to a boil.

That being said, I will likely have a boilover my next batch.

I agree, an unwatched pot ALWAYS boils over.. Fermcap, low flame, boilover fan, 45 minutes into the boil... doesn't matter. Two minutes to take a leak and you will have a half gallon on the floor.

you guys just need bigger pots
so you have a little more head room
and turn down that flame you are just wasting gas

+1 on turning down the flame. I reach my boil slowly and consistently. I usually heat while I'm doing my run-off, so it's near a boil when it's full and I can just feather it a little to get it where it needs to be.

well i let it run wide open till it boils , but after that i dial it back to just a nice even boil.

Under my user name, it says banned from the kitchen,

There is a reason for that..............................:drunk:

Back